Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you like buying garbage?

Get yourself a floor lamp from Good Earth Lighting.
http://www.goodearthlighting.com/

I slid one of their floor lamps out of a corner over the weekend to vacuum
around it, and the weight inside the base crumbled like a giant cookie.
Nice. The company says "We've heard of this before", but they won't cover it
even though it's just a month or two out of warranty.

First one I bought went bad within a month. The company shipped me a
replacement and told me to toss the old one in the trash. That should
provide some idea of how little they pay for this junk from China.

Crumbled weighting substance. Seemed heavier than it should've for its size,
after I scooped it all into a bag. Probably the pulverized bones of Chinese
dissidents, mixed with lead:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1261427795

What's left to work with:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1261427865

I'll probably epoxy some bricks to the top of the base. Or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Get yourself a floor lamp from Good Earth Lighting.

Weird...I clicked that link and I immediately got the blue death screen and
then my computer rebooted. ?

Probably just my laptop. It is acting a little strange. Anyway....I'm not
clicking it again.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Master Betty" wrote in message
Weird...I clicked that link and I immediately got the blue death screen
and then my computer rebooted. ?

Probably just my laptop. It is acting a little strange. Anyway....I'm not
clicking it again.

Jim

Just your computer. The image loaded fine here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 3:04*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Get yourself a floor lamp from Good Earth Lighting.http://www.goodearthlighting.com/

I slid one of their floor lamps out of a corner over the weekend to vacuum
around it, and the weight inside the base crumbled like a giant cookie.
Nice. The company says "We've heard of this before", but they won't cover it
even though it's just a month or two out of warranty.

First one I bought went bad within a month. The company shipped me a
replacement and told me to toss the old one in the trash. That should
provide some idea of how little they pay for this junk from China.

Crumbled weighting substance. Seemed heavier than it should've for its size,
after I scooped it all into a bag. Probably the pulverized bones of Chinese
dissidents, mixed with lead:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...180035.jpg?t=1....

What's left to work with:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...180036.jpg?t=1....

I'll probably epoxy some bricks to the top of the base. Or something.

I recommend an old brake drum or something as a replacement base.
(Painted and with felt on the floor side, of course.) Or look in the
plumbing parts aisle for a big flange fitting. This ain't rocket
surgery, more like blacksmithing. Whatever heavy you can scrape up and
drill a hole in, that you and SWMBO can stand looking at.

--
aem sends, on Google till New Year's
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:
[...]

According to your photo....an easy fix would be to flip it upside down and
fill with cement, let cure and flip it back up...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Master Betty" wrote in message
Weird...I clicked that link and I immediately got the blue death screen
and then my computer rebooted. ?

Probably just my laptop. It is acting a little strange. Anyway....I'm not
clicking it again.

Jim

Just your computer. The image loaded fine here.

It's a device driver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

I slid one of their floor lamps out of a corner over the weekend to vacuum
around it, and the weight inside the base crumbled like a giant cookie.
Nice. The company says "We've heard of this before", but they won't cover it
even though it's just a month or two out of warranty.

yep had exact same thing happen to me on my lamps as
well!

I took them to steel recycling bin and junked em!
Never again

I will buy some other kinda lamp now
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

According to your photo....an easy fix would be to flip it upside down and
fill with cement, let cure and flip it back up...

yeah, the original stuff looks like concrete to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

I had that happen about a half a dozen years ago with a generic light base.
Ended up using a weight from a weightlifting set, set inside of a plywood
frame. IIRC, I hot glued the whole mess together, then used three screws
from the topside to secure it.

It does suck when a corner is cut that saved the company $0.50 but which
results in a worthless POS.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:05:58 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

On Dec 21, 3:04Â*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
[...]

You still have the base - stand the durn thing upside and fill the
base with concrete
Posted to alt.home.repair

news

wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking fishing sinkers encased in clear epoxy. Or something.

Maybe some of my neighbor's gnocchi, which are suitable for weighing down a
dead body underwater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:32:26 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

You shifted the decimal point 2 places to the left. Probably saved
them all of $0.0005 each - but that's still more than a living wage
over a million units.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

According to your photo....an easy fix would be to flip it upside down and
fill with cement, let cure and flip it back up...

yeah, the original stuff looks like concrete to me.

I think it looks like just cement. No sand or stone. That would make
it weak and crumble wouldn't it?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 21, 4:05*pm, aemeijers wrote:

snip

I recommend an old brake drum or something as a replacement base.
(Painted and with felt on the floor side, of course.) Or look in the
plumbing parts aisle for a big flange fitting. This ain't rocket
surgery, more like blacksmithing. Whatever heavy you can scrape up and
drill a hole in, that you and SWMBO can stand looking at.

--
aem sends, on Google till New Year's

Not a bad idea. Let's expand on that 'or something'. Head over to your
auto salvage yard and with dimensions in hand (diameter, thickness and
center hole size), pick out a nice heavy flywheel. There are likely
hundreds of possibilities, but with so many automatic transmissions
these days you may have to find a yard that has a lot of older stock.
You should find a flywheel that would fit just fine where the base
weight was bolted in.
Flywheels are handy things in the shop. I have one that has a vertical
pipe welded in the center, with a flange on the top for my tool
grinder.

Joe

she don't want to pay for garbage service. west[_3_] Home Ownership 2 October 7th 09 01:44 AM
Buying Garbage Disposal Patrick C Home Repair 6 November 16th 08 10:50 PM
Space garbage Ignoramus15131 Metalworking 13 September 11th 08 04:03 AM
garbage disposal Dottie Home Repair 7 March 31st 08 11:21 PM
House buying 101 -- simple house-buying terms defined Ablang Home Ownership 0 June 11th 05 03:14 AM