Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying Garbage Disposal

Thinking of getting Insinkerator Evolution Essential or if we should get
their Premier model with the Auto reverse grind system sold only at Lowe's.
Both are the same price, Essential has 6yr Premier has 5yr warranty. I'm
thinking auto reverse may be more complicated and susceptible to failure.
Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick C wrote:
Thinking of getting Insinkerator Evolution Essential or if we should
get their Premier model with the Auto reverse grind system sold only
at Lowe's. Both are the same price, Essential has 6yr Premier has 5yr
warranty. I'm thinking auto reverse may be more complicated and
susceptible to failure. Any input would be appreciated.

Who knows?

If you're the type that often experiences jams, then the auto-reverse model
may well be worth the extra money. But I can almost guarantee the
auto-reversing model will jam more often!

You'll be conditioned into dumping even more problematic items down the
thing, secure in the knowledge that the disposal will heal itself should
something amiss take place. Of course it can't recover from a spoon or small
pistol, so you'll have to manually intervene as you increasingly treat the
disposal with disdain.

Disposals are almost commodity items, all about the same price, durability,
and functionality - one is as good as another. Insinkerator is trying to
differentiate its brand.

Have fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick C wrote:
Thinking of getting Insinkerator Evolution Essential or if we should get
their Premier model with the Auto reverse grind system sold only at
Lowe's. Both are the same price, Essential has 6yr Premier has 5yr
warranty. I'm thinking auto reverse may be more complicated and
susceptible to failure. Any input would be appreciated.

Don't over-think it. Buy whichever has the same dimensions as the old
one (if possible) and uses the same style of ring on the top end, to
make the changeout easier. Quality of metal used and quality of
assembly, is more important than bells and whistles or warranty. A
mid-range model with the thicker and better shell, grinder, and gaskets,
should last many years if you don't abuse it. (IOW, actual food and bone
scraps belong in the trash, not down the drain. The disposal is only for
stuff that sticks to the plates and pots.)

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Patrick C" wrote in message
Thinking of getting Insinkerator Evolution Essential or if we should get
their Premier model with the Auto reverse grind system sold only at
Lowe's. Both are the same price, Essential has 6yr Premier has 5yr
warranty. I'm thinking auto reverse may be more complicated and
susceptible to failure. Any input would be appreciated.

I can't answer your specific question. However, I can tell you that I have
had an Insinkerator Model #PRO 77 for more than six years. It does *not*
have auto reverse, but I have never needed it (never needed to reset it).
It gets regular use every day, and it gets heavier use than one of the
others wrote about. I do far more than just dump stuff that sticks to the
plates. I scrape plates, empty leftover food, get rid of food that has been
in the refrigerator too long (sometimes requiring pushing some down, start
the garbage disposal, then do the whole thing two or three more times --
simply because I have accumulated to much "stuff"). I am selective in that
I do not put anything fibrous (like banana peels) in the disposal, and
certainly no bones. I always turn water on before running the disposal and
let the water run for a short time after turning it off. A plumber told me
some years ago to do that.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Patrick C wrote:
[...]

This is our first. We're hooking up to sewer & water and the wife would
really appreciate it. I agree about abuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Patrick C wrote:
[...]

I agree that getting one that will just
"clip in" the existing hardware is a
plus. As to "stuff that sticks to the
plates and pots," that stuff will
usually just go down the drain. As we
have eliminated our compost
pile due to selling the house, we use
our disposer for everything,
fruit and veggie peals and just plain
bad food that needs to go.
You have to be careful about fibrous and
mushy stuff as it can plug
up the disposer/drain. We have city
sewers here. In the house we
are now building, there is a septic
system, so the disposer will only
be used for smaller stuff and we will go
back to composting the bulk
of the waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick C wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Patrick C wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Nothing will withstand abuse. My house always had Insinkerator. None of
them gave us trouble.