Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Buying Garbage Disposal

aemeijers wrote:
Patrick C wrote:
Thinking of getting Insinkerator Evolution Essential or if we should
get their Premier model with the Auto reverse grind system sold only
at Lowe's. Both are the same price, Essential has 6yr Premier has 5yr
warranty. I'm thinking auto reverse may be more complicated and
susceptible to failure. Any input would be appreciated.

Don't over-think it. Buy whichever has the same dimensions as the old
one (if possible) and uses the same style of ring on the top end, to
make the changeout easier. Quality of metal used and quality of
assembly, is more important than bells and whistles or warranty. A
mid-range model with the thicker and better shell, grinder, and gaskets,
should last many years if you don't abuse it. (IOW, actual food and bone
scraps belong in the trash, not down the drain. The disposal is only for
stuff that sticks to the plates and pots.)
aem sends....

I agree that getting one that will just
"clip in" the existing hardware is a
plus. As to "stuff that sticks to the
plates and pots," that stuff will
usually just go down the drain. As we
have eliminated our compost
pile due to selling the house, we use
our disposer for everything,
fruit and veggie peals and just plain
bad food that needs to go.
You have to be careful about fibrous and
mushy stuff as it can plug
up the disposer/drain. We have city
sewers here. In the house we
are now building, there is a septic
system, so the disposer will only
be used for smaller stuff and we will go
back to composting the bulk
of the waste.