Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low voltage socket.

I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the normal 115
or 120?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the normal 115
or 120?

*Is it a switch or a receptacle that has low voltage? Is something not
working properly or did you just go around checking voltages?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:52:59 -0800 (PST), in2dadark
wrote:

I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the normal 115
or 120?

I can think of several possiblities. If you can follow the
wire and see what it is connected to (intentionally or not
intentionally) you likely will find the problem. Be sure to check out
grounds. This could be related to a bad ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the normal 115
or 120?

* * * * I can think of several possiblities. *If you can follow the
wire and see what it is connected to (intentionally or not
intentionally) you likely will find the problem. *Be sure to check out
grounds. *This could be related to a bad ground.

Insufficient info.
50 volts with something plugged in or not plugged in etc.? Switch on
or off?
50 volts in reference to what? Ground? Live to neutral?
If the workmanship of replacing the outlets and switches was as vague
as the enquiry ........ !!!!
needs to be more specific.
Back stabbed outlets again?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why were you checking?? as the previous poster asked, what happens
when you plug in a light or something else????

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 21, 11:48*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

yes, 50V could easily be phantom voltage and the recep is really
completely dead

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's very possible there is NO usable power on that line.
But that some stray power is being absorbed from other
wires. I'd try a lamp or something (which will probably not
work) and then do some troubleshooting based on the socket
being dead.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"in2dadark" wrote in message
I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a
couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl
meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get
it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up
the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the
normal 115
or 120?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 7:54*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the normal 115
or 120?

*Is it a switch or a receptacle that has low voltage? *Is something not
working properly or did you just go around checking voltages?

The socket does not work at all when I plug something into it. It did
in the past after I switched out all the old ones. I put in another
new socket thining that one may have gone bad somehow. But the 2nd new
one doesn't work and th all the wires are on correctly. There is no
jump at this box, just 3 wires, black, white and bare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message

I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the normal 115
or 120?- Hide quoted text -

Ha.. I did the whole house. I know how to replace a receptical...
Nothing works at this outlet and it doens't have a switch. I guess
I'll look up the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"in2dadark" wrote in message

I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a
couple of years
ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl
meter.
Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get
it...

Anyway. How it that possible? Is there a bad connection up
the line of
outlets that would cause it to read 50 volts instead of the
normal 115
or 120?

I agree. One would think if you get 'any' reading it would either be
full on or nothing..I triple checked it and the meter setting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:
[...]

look at other receps on the same circuit, might have a bad connection at
the one previous to it on the circuit

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Yes go to the receptacle that feeds this receptacle and check the
connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the trace of power your meter saw, was impedance
from another line. Also sounds like you have an open circuit
some where. Either the hot or the neutral.

You can replace a receptical, but you have a hard time
spelling receptacle.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...6c7832dbb01be6

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"in2dadark" wrote in message

Ha.. I did the whole house. I know how to replace a
receptical...
Nothing works at this outlet and it doens't have a switch.
I guess
I'll look up the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had that happen, one time. Couple friends of mine, who
lived in a raised ranch. One socket was intermittent. I
suggested to check the wires at the other sockets. But they
couldn't see how that could affect anything. Ultimately, the
problem turned out to be that the builder had backstabbed
instead of twist and screw the wires on. The backstab at the
next outlet along the wall was bad. So, the last outlet
wasn't getting power. The next to the last outlet was fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

look at other receps on the same circuit, might have a bad
connection at
the one previous to it on the circuit

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 8:41*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

Oh.. Ok.. Now I know what you mean by 'backstab'... I didn't even buy
the ones that have that. Those were more I think. RECEPTaCLe..there..

YOu should go through all the grammatical errors on this forum as
well. It'll give you something to live for and a reason to feel
supirior...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Good. Backstabs SUCK. Although I feel obligated to point out that
"spec grade" receps from the real supply house near me (Dominion
Electric) are $15/10 - probably about what you would pay for consumer
grade at the Big Box. (no backstabs on spec grade stuff either) I use
the Good Stuff exclusively once I found that Dominion was open on Saturdays.

I am quite annoyed that one of the Decora light switches that I
installed only a couple years ago is already going flaky - and it's not
even in a high use location. Soon as I find a double toggle vintage
..040" pressed brass switchplate, it's gone for a spec grade toggle. The
cheap stuff is... cheap.

Which reminds me, I need some utility knife blades. (there's a logical
line of thought that led up to that... need to run some auxiliary
grounds before I can use the metal switch plates, which means that I
need to break the paint around my baseboards so I can pry them off)

YOu should go through all the grammatical errors on this forum as
well. It'll give you something to live for and a reason to feel
supirior...

^^^^^^^^

I'm just going to assume that that was intentional humor and not
failtastic irony.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

I read it as a pithetic troll. Not to be confused with pith
helmetic troll.

"Dr. Livingstone, the troll, I presume?"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel"
wrote in message ...

YOu should go through all the grammatical errors on this
forum as
well. It'll give you something to live for and a reason to
feel
supirior...

^^^^^^^^

I'm just going to assume that that was intentional humor and
not
failtastic irony.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:25:19 -0800 (PST), N8N

yes, 50V could easily be phantom voltage and the recep is really
completely dead

nate

Remember the OP mentioned he had a ANALOG meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 10:22*am, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:25:19 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

*...

yes, 50V could easily be phantom voltage and the recep is really
completely dead

nate

* * * * Remember the OP mentioned he had a ANALOG meter.

No matter what kind of meter if there is doubt put a load on the
circuit then measure the voltage. In this case just plug something
in. I'll bet the voltage reads zero then.