Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HDTV connections

I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

Hi,
What do you have other than sat. box?
You decide how to hook things up.
HDMI carries digital video and audio. One cable does it all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message

I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

Connect Setup HDMI1 to Source SAT and repost results here.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

The satellite receiver is the only device connected to the HDTV.

The HDMI cable connects "HDTV Digital Audio/Video Output" (on the back
of the satellite receiver) to "HDMI 2" (on the back of the HDTV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 8:29 am, gcotterl wrote:
I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

Andy comments:

Personally, I would connect the Sat HDMI output to the
HDTV HDM! input and select HDM1 on the Source menu.

Then I would select the SAT under the "Devices" menu....

If that doesn't work, I would try something else......

It ain't rocket surgery, but it does take practice... :)))

If it were easy, they couldn't charge you $2K for the privelege....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now:

the HDMI cable runs from the "HDTV Digital Audio/Video Output" (on the
receiver) to "HDMI 1" (on the HDTV)

and "SAT" is the device selected for "HDMI 1".

Is that what you suggested?
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a DishNetwork VIP-622-DVR.

Andy suggested using HDMI 1 but HDMI 2 is available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 10:09*am, gcotterl wrote:
Now:

the HDMI cable runs from the "HDTV Digital Audio/Video Output" (on the
receiver) to "HDMI 1" (on the HDTV)

and "SAT" is the device selected for "HDMI 1".

Is that what you suggested?

You can connect the sat receiver to HDMI1 or HDMI2, makes no
difference. But for simplicity, most would connect it to 1. Then
setting the device only affects what you call it on the menus, remote,
etc. You could set the device to STB for example, but then you would
just use a different button or menu choice to access it as STB instead
of SAT. So, I agree what makes most sense is to use HDMI 1 and SAT
Posted to alt.home.repair

After I get home tonight, I'll connect the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 on
the TV then set HDMI 1 to "SAT" and post the results.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:34:45 -0800 (PST), gcotterl
wrote:

It's a DishNetwork VIP-622-DVR.

Andy suggested using HDMI 1 but HDMI 2 is available.

But G. Morgan asked you if HDMI is free. Not HDMI 2.

So you didn't answer his question.

You never quote anything the prior poster has written and I think it
confuses not just me or us, but you too. That's why you answered the
wrong question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan's question was:

is HDMI 1 free?

It was NOT:

I s HDMI free"
]

Posted to alt.home.repair

G. Morgan wrote:
mm wrote:

But G. Morgan asked you if HDMI is free. Not HDMI 2.

So you didn't answer his question.

Not that it matters much, but using "HDMI 1" first, (if there is only going to
be one input) makes more sense.

Save HDMI 2 for future Blue Ray or Upscaling DVD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
gcotterl wrote:

After I get home tonight, I'll connect the HDMI cable to HDMI 1 on
the TV then set HDMI 1 to "SAT" and post the results.

Yes, do that. Also make sure you use the remote that came with the TV and
press the "Input" or "Source" button to select HDMI 1.

After that, you should be seeing the DVR displayed onscreen. You'll need
use the SAT remote to enter the DVR's configuration to tell it what
brand/model TV you have (so the SAT remote can control TV power and
volume).

Be sure to push the TV button on remote to jog to the HDMI setting. Your
SAT box will know, but your TV has to be told.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

gcotterl wrote:

The satellite receiver is the only device connected to the HDTV.

The HDMI cable connects "HDTV Digital Audio/Video Output" (on the back
of the satellite receiver) to "HDMI 2" (on the back of the HDTV.

Then you would set HDMI 2 to "Sat", and then configure the remote to work with
your TV (in the SAT box's setup program).

Why HDMI 2, is HDMI 1 free?

What sat. receiver do you have (model number)?

wrote:

It's a DishNetwork VIP-622-DVR.

Andy suggested using HDMI 1 but HDMI 2 is available.

But G. Morgan asked you if HDMI is free. Not HDMI 2.

So you didn't answer his question.

You never quote anything the prior poster has written and I think it
confuses not just me or us, but you too. That's why you answered the
wrong question.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:38:42 -0800 (PST), gcotterl
wrote:

G. Morgan's question was:

is HDMI 1 free?

It was NOT:

I s HDMI free"
]

Because again you skipped the entire previous post, someone who hadn't
read or didn't remember it would have no idea how irrelevant your
reply was. But we both know, don't we?

Yes, I made a typo. G. Morgan, asked: is HDMI 1 free? So, knowing
that, why did you answer the wrong question? I think you should quote
the prior poster so his questions are in front of you when you reply.

You don't like to be criticized, do you, even when your work leaves
obvious room for improvement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The "Devices" under the "Source" menu are most likley just labels.

So instead of seeing HDM1 on the TV when you switch inputs it says SAT.
This way you don't have to remember which input is hooked up to HDM1.

"gcotterl" wrote in message
I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 8:29*am, gcotterl wrote:
I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

The "Devices" list is just for convenience so that you can "name" what
you are using the actual source jacks for.

So if you plug your satellite box HDMI output into the physical HDMI1
source jack, you can then name that jack by calling it "SAT".

Now the display on the screen will say "SAT" in addition to "HDMI1"
making the description more familiar to the wife and kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 2:51*pm, RickH wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:29*am, gcotterl wrote:

I have a HDTV connected to a satellite receiver via an HDMI cable.

Under the HDTV's "Setup" menu, the "Source" menu lists AV1, AV2, AV3,
HDMI1, HDMI2, Side and Digital Audio In.

Each of those "Sources" has various "Devices": DVD, SAT, Game, Digital
STB, PVR, HD, Cable and Other, Recorder and None.

Which "Device" do I connect to which "Source"?

The "Devices" list is just for convenience so that you can "name" what
you are using the actual source jacks for.

So if you plug your satellite box HDMI output into the physical HDMI1
source jack, you can then name that jack by calling it "SAT".

Now the display on the screen will say "SAT" in addition to "HDMI1"
making the description more familiar to the wife and kids.

After calling Dish Network FIVE times and talking to FOUR DIFFERENT
agents -- one blamed the problem on the weather and one was going to
schedule a techie to come to my house to check for grounding -- the
last agent is shipping me a new receiver.
(Hopefully, that will solve the problem).
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
On Dec 14, 2:51 pm, wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:29 am, wrote:

[...]

Hmm,
Sorry, seems like this thing is over your head. No wonder guys charge
upto couple hundred bucks setting stuffs and programming remote. In
my house there are half dozen devices but using one Harmony remote, one
button push does everything. If a family memeber wants something extra,
I can reprogram the remote to accomodate what they want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:37:34 -0800 (PST), gcotterl
wrote:

(Hopefully, that will solve the problem).

You never mentioned what the problem was.

Dvd Hdtv [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 18th 09 09:34 AM
Magnavox Hdtv [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 17th 09 12:40 PM
HDTV The Wanderer[_2_] UK diy 45 March 9th 09 09:57 PM
HDTV [email protected] Metalworking 10 August 9th 07 04:30 AM
HDTV twfsa Home Repair 19 November 24th 04 04:29 PM