Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do we need a methane/propane detector?

Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

If you have a serious leak, and no one is around, it won't matter if you
have a methane detector. If someone is home, you'll smell it. Everyone in
the house should know how to turn off the main gas supply

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

I'm afraid I would be setting the darn thing off every
time I ate dairy products.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:hg32dd$es6
:

Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

I'm afraid I would be setting the darn thing off every
time I ate dairy products.

TDD

That is actually correct. Ask grandma.
Don't bother if you have a cat/litter box.
They also do not like to be near a dishwasher, and will give false alarms
during periods of high humidity.

Your milage may vary. I have 3 Kidde Nighthawk KN-COEG-3 combination
detectors, and I will have to give them to relatives, and replace them with
CO only detectors, since my youngest acquired a kitten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

I'm afraid I would be setting the darn thing off every
time I ate dairy products.

TDD

Reminds me of a friend of mine who turns almost everything he eats into
methane. He was hanging pipe (fire sprinklers) in some kind of "clean room"
in a plant in the Phoenix area and while up on a tall ladder the enevitable
happened. He said that warning lights started flashing and bells started
ringing and a couple of guys in white coveralls came running into the room.
They looked all over the place and finally decided it must have been a false
alarm and left. They didn't notice him up on the ladder or didn't figure
one man could have created that much gas. They just didn't know him. I've
seen him clear out many a room of people. But we all love him dearly.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

It's not uncommon for elderly people and others with an impaired sense
of smell to not be able to smell the scent the gas company puts in the
gas. If you have an older person in the house, you might want an alarm
for that reason. My mother has a tendency to bump the knobs of her gas
range while cleaning the stove, just enough to emit gas without
activating the spark unit. So the kitchen begins filling with gas and
she doesn't even notice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

I've had episodes where the volume and pressure were so great,
that the expulsion of flatus was exceptionally loud and incredibly
painful. It's like a foghorn blast followed by a lot of plaintive
howling and loud explicit expletives.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

Hi,
I have CO/gas detector in addition to smoke/flame detector in my 5th
wheel trailer. Only CO detectors and smoke/flame detectors in the house
and cabin. IMO, you should answer your own question. There is no such
thing as over-safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

I have one of the combo detectors about 6' from a litter box and have no
issues with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 8:26*am, Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. * * I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. *Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. * *Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. *So, do we really need a
methane detector?

Would a Ng detector on the floor work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 8:26*am, Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. * * I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. *Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. * *Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. *So, do we really need a
methane detector?

Yes.

There are many cases where the stink in the gas is removed by moisture
and then you have flammable gas collect...then *BOOM*.

You never saw it coming.

TMT

CO detector Terry Pinnell UK diy 13 April 27th 09 03:01 PM
Burning methane in furnace Willie The Wimp Home Repair 18 February 9th 09 09:54 PM
Smoke Detector ? nr Home Repair 4 December 4th 07 12:48 AM
Methane Gas? coming up bathtub drains [email protected] Home Ownership 4 March 4th 06 12:57 AM
Smoke detector and CO detector installed next to each other? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 02:46 AM