Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Do we need a methane/propane detector?

Al Tsiemers wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:hg32dd$es6
:

Phisherman wrote:
Recently, I heard that a methane/propane detector is recommended in
addition to a smoke and CO detectors. I have gas (methane)
appliances (oven, stove, two furnaces, fireplace, water heater,
clothes dryer), but currently rely on the additive in gas (and my
nose) to detect leaks. Since CO is completely odorless and very
poisonous a CO detector makes a lot of sense. Most modern gas
appliances have safey shut-off features. So, do we really need a
methane detector?

I'm afraid I would be setting the darn thing off every
time I ate dairy products.

TDD

That is actually correct. Ask grandma.
Don't bother if you have a cat/litter box.
They also do not like to be near a dishwasher, and will give false alarms
during periods of high humidity.

Your milage may vary. I have 3 Kidde Nighthawk KN-COEG-3 combination
detectors, and I will have to give them to relatives, and replace them with
CO only detectors, since my youngest acquired a kitten.

I have one of the combo detectors about 6' from a litter box and have no
issues with it.