Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power Drill Repair

I have a Dewalt DW236 1/2" drill with a keyless chuck that is not
working. I plan to buy a new chuck, but I want to remove the old one
first. I removed the torx screw (backward thread) and I've tried
everything I can think of to remove the old chuck. It just will not
come off.

I'm getting frustrated with it, is there someplace I can just take it
(or ship it) and have it fixed? I'm south of Baltimore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 18:50:10 -0500, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

paulaner wrote:
I have a Dewalt DW236 1/2" drill with a keyless chuck that is not
working. I plan to buy a new chuck, but I want to remove the old one
first. I removed the torx screw (backward thread) and I've tried
everything I can think of to remove the old chuck. It just will not
come off.

I'm getting frustrated with it, is there someplace I can just take it
(or ship it) and have it fixed? I'm south of Baltimore.

Stick a small screwdriver into the cooling fan of the motor to keep the
gears from turning. Then unscrew the chuck with a pipe wrench.

The OP should find out, via written instructions on changing a broken
chuck in a DeWalt drill.

"Stick a small screwdriver into the cooling fan of the motor to keep
the gears from turning." Is the wrong advise.

Tell me it ain't so!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:38:11 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

I don't know about someone in Baltimore. Get the largest Allen
(hex) wrench you can. Chuck up the short end in the drill chuck.
Take a short piece of 2x4 or a hammer and hit the long end of the
Allen wrench with a VERY sharp blow. Make sure you are trying to
turn the chuck in a counterclockwise direction when looking at the
chuck end of the drill. I did have one DeWalt that needed a shot
of thread release to soak in for 30 minutes.

Exactly, and iirc you shouldn't stuff anything in the fan. You'll
bend the fan if you do. Let inertia and the way the gears work hold
the shaft in place, while you hit it. Things like this you may have
to hit a few times, before you hit it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .