Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My drill seems to be losing power?

I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that I have been using and it has
always worked fine for what I do.

However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter (I
have two) and I think I would need to get new ones or have them
reconditioned.

But one thing I noticed is that with the battery lasting a shorter
time, it seems to be losing the torque as well, in other words, I am
getting trouble with putting in 2-1/2" long screw (or extracting them)
when I did not have any trouble before. It seems that even with a
short live battery fully charged, the torque is reduced, or may be
it's just me hallucinating after breathing in too much fiber glass
insulation.

The other thing I found is that the old studs that are in my 35 year
old house, they are A LOT harder than the new studs I get at Home
Depot. When I sister a piece of new 2x4 to an old 2x4, the screw cuts
through the new wood like butter and when it hits the old wood, it
slows down. Same thing with cutting, I can notch new wood with a saw
much easier than the old wood. It seems the old wood is almost as
hard if not harder than today's PT wood.

MC

*You need new batteries or you can get yours rebuilt at voltmanbatteries.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

http://primecell.com/pctools.htm

they do a excellent job with cell far better than the original ones
when they were new.

very affordable too

as to wood hardness..... old wood is super dry whch probably makes it
harder.

lus old wood grew slower, the growth rings were close together, the
wood stronger than the tree farms of today, where the trees grow super
fast
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 10:41*am, wrote:
[...]

The old wood might be douglas fir, well dried. Before you chuck the
battery make sure it's just not a "charge memory" problem. When
people re-charge batteries without letting them go completely dead
first, over time, the charge becomes increasingly "shallow", its
called "charge memory" (or something like that). Completely drain the
old battery so it wont spin the drill at all with no load, let it
cool, then give it a full deep charge. If that doesn't work then its
the battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 1:39*pm, RickH wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:41*am, wrote:

[...]

I am doing that now. I have a clamp on the trigger and completely
kill the battery then I will recharge to see what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 2, 1:39 pm, RickH wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:41 am, wrote:

[...]

Which will possibly reverse charge the weaker cells, causing them to vent and
die.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:39:49 -0800 (PST), RickH
wrote:

Before you chuck the
battery make sure it's just not a "charge memory" problem.

Memory is not much of a problem with modern batteries. At
least some B&D chargers have a re-condition cycle that could be tried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 1:10*pm, wrote:
On Mar 2, 1:39*pm, RickH wrote:

On Mar 2, 10:41*am, wrote:

[...]

kill the battery then I will recharge to see what happens.- Hide quoted text -

Nicads are dead when the drill slows, drain it 100% by force and a
cell can reverse polarity. Just get it rebuilt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 3:53�pm, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:41:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that I have been using and it has
always worked fine for what I do.

However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter

They just get weaker as they age.

I have two 9v Makitas, one bought in 2002 when the original 1995
batteries went bad on the first one. A drill and 2 batteries was about
the same price as 2 batteries then. Recently I found a guy in the net
who sold me new batteries, better than the original (more AH) for $35
or so and it is like having a brand new drill. I forgot how well a new
one works.

primecell price is a bargain]

9.6 Volts
Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade
$ 25.00

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:44:51 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:36:36 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Mar 2, 3:53?pm, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:41:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that I have been using and it has
always worked fine for what I do.

However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter

They just get weaker as they age.

I have two 9v Makitas, one bought in 2002 when the original 1995
batteries went bad on the first one. A drill and 2 batteries was about
the same price as 2 batteries then. Recently I found a guy in the net
who sold me new batteries, better than the original (more AH) for $35
or so and it is like having a brand new drill. I forgot how well a new
one works.

primecell price is a bargain]

9.6 Volts
Replace NICD with high capacity upgrade
$ 25.00

Just watch the shipping. Sometimes that kills a good deal.

primecell is a family business.

visit the site.

from the FAQ

We are listed at D&B as Cunard Associates Inc. located in Bedford,
Pennsylvania.

The division dealing with rechargeable products is called Primecell.

The company is a small, privately owned corporation. We have been
involved with the rechargeable battery business since 1986.

We qualify as a small, woman owned business. Sandy is the owner -
manager - and she allows us to work for her.

Our size grants us the flexibility to deal with even the smallest of
customers (one battery at a time), or the largest ( In the world ).

We operate as a mail order service company, and have no store front to
visit, which minimizes our overhead cost.

We are located in the foothills of the Allegheny mountains, in South
Central Pennsylvania, we love it here, as have the five generations
who passed before us.

Our rebuilding service has often been renowned as "better than new".

We consider our skills of our craft, and the quality of our product,
to be the lasting evidence of our life's work.

If a task is considered worth while - we believe that it must be done
well, or not done at all.

Our equipment is of the best design, and made by reputable
manufacturers. All of our equipment is maintained to be in perfect
condition, and in adequate quantity, for immediate business expansion
when required.

We have developed many proprietary methods and process' that are
unique to our business.

These methods and specialized equipment, allow the opening of the
battery cases, the replacement of internal components, and the
sealing of the cases to perform and appear to be as good as new.

There have been instances of customers who have received the serviced
product - and immediately call us to report that we could not have
opened the case.

Once they learn that it has truly been serviced, and experience the
performance which works better than new - the question is always ...
how do you do that?

It is our pleasure to hear the remark, and our duty to decline any
comment. Requests to see the operation or to learn of the processes
employed are politely refused.

Our satisfied customer list includes: AT&T, NASA, GE Motor Division,
Paragon Cable, TCI, All American Pipeline, Caterpillar, Lufkin, and
many others.

It also includes literally thousands of individuals, Hams, Paramedics,
Fire Departments, American Red Cross, Construction Contractors, and
Municipal law enforcement departments. The value of Amateur Radio is
appreciated (KB3TR), so we understand the needs and interests of the
Ham.

We have compiled rebuild specifications for over 1000 different
battery applications, and the list just keeps getting larger every
day.

We like what we do, and look forward to serving your needs.

Give us a try, it is our intention to make you a happy customer.

Primecell Service Team.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 11:41*am, wrote:
But one thing I noticed is that with the battery lasting a shorter
time, it seems to be losing the torque as well

Um, yeah. That's what happens when the batteries start getting weak.
You won't have as much torque even with a fully charged battery
because it's not as "fully charged" as it was when new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I find drill batteries last two years. Doesn't seem to
matter what brand. I've never tried Primecell for
rebuilding. I will, one of these days. I've got a 14.4
Makita that isn't holding charge.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I find drill batteries last two years.

the first set of 9.6V sticks for my Makita 6095 lasted 10 yrs,until I
stopped using them frequently.
IMO,NiCds are "use them or lose them".

Doesn't seem to
matter what brand. I've never tried Primecell for
rebuilding. I will, one of these days. I've got a 14.4
Makita that isn't holding charge.

Does Makita now sell lithium packs and charger for your model?
Those hold a charge much longer,much lower self-discharge.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 10:41 am, wrote:
I have a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that I have been using and it has
always worked fine for what I do.

However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter (I
have two) and I think I would need to get new ones or have them
reconditioned.

I was going to use one of the rebuilding services for my old crapsman
drill but now I think I'll just buy the sub-c soldertab batteries and
do it myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know. Interesting idea. For now, I'm considering
send the pack to Primecell, and let them do their job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

Does Makita now sell lithium packs and charger for your
model?
Those hold a charge much longer,much lower self-discharge.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

DeWalt 12V cordless drill...
However, recently the battery pack is lasting shorter and shorter (I
have two) and I think I would need to get new ones or have them
reconditioned.

I have the same drill bought new in 1998. Batteries lasted til 2005. I got
the weakest one "rebuilt"..
It only lasted a few months so I waited til the whole DeWalt 12V drill "kit
" went on sale for $ 60.00 and picked one up.
Both Lowes and HD wanted $ 100.00 for two batteries alone.

Now I have two good batteries and one charger for the garage and one in the
basement.
(I also have the brand new drill, still in the original box)

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Rudy, Howard Horwich wrote:
Smart man!

--