Posted to alt.home.repair

Default security light hookup

I just purchased a motion security light that needs to be hooked up.
Can I just hook a regular plug to it and plug it into a standard wall
socket? Or should I get an electrician and have him wire to the panel
box in garage? There is no current fixture at the location I want to
use. There is, however, a wall receptacle just below it. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Mc" wrote in message
I just purchased a motion security light that needs to be hooked up. Can I
just hook a regular plug to it and plug it into a standard wall socket? Or
should I get an electrician and have him wire to the panel box in garage?
There is no current fixture at the location I want to use. There is,
however, a wall receptacle just below it. Thanks.

It'll work either way. If you want to set it up as a sort of temporary
light, stick a cord and plug on it. If you want a professional installation,
have an electrician install a box in the wall for it

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Mc" wrote in message
I just purchased a motion security light that needs to be hooked up. Can I
just hook a regular plug to it and plug it into a standard wall socket? Or
should I get an electrician and have him wire to the panel box in garage?
There is no current fixture at the location I want to use. There is,
however, a wall receptacle just below it. Thanks.

It's done all the time. If it is a weather exposed location (which it is
not), BUT IF IT WERE TO BE WEATHER EXPOSED, it is best to hard wire it and
protect it from shorting because of snow or rain. If the plug is switched,
it makes it easier to turn the light on so it stays on. Turn the light on
for about three seconds, then off, then on quickly, and it should stay on
until you turn it off. It will be in that little paper thingy they give
you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 2:55*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ed Mc" wrote in message

I just purchased a motion security light that needs to be hooked up. Can I
just hook a regular plug to it and plug it into a standard wall socket? Or
should I get an electrician and have him wire to the panel box in garage?
There is no current fixture at the location I want to use. There is,
however, a wall receptacle just below it. Thanks.

It's done all the time. *If it is a weather exposed location (which it is
not), BUT IF IT WERE TO BE WEATHER EXPOSED, it is best to hard wire it and
protect it from shorting because of snow or rain. *If the plug is switched,
it makes it easier to turn the light on so it stays on. *Turn the light on
for about three seconds, then off, then on quickly, and it should stay on
until you turn it off. *It will be in that little paper thingy they give
you.

Steve

..
Using the cheaper 'plug it in' method OK.
But suggest use a three wire plug and three wire cord in order to
safely ground the (metal?) motion sensor light fixture.
While it will probably work with a two wire cord, if someone were
standing on something adjusting the the fixture and/or its controls or
replacing a bulb in a metal fixture and there was a fault there is a
remote possibility of an electric shock or a fall due to being shocked
unexpectedly! Also in interests of safety; if/when wiring up the plug
make sure the 'hot' and 'neutral' wires are on the correct pins of the
plug!
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

.
Using the cheaper 'plug it in' method OK.
But suggest use a three wire plug and three wire cord in order to
safely ground the (metal?) motion sensor light fixture.
While it will probably work with a two wire cord, if someone were
standing on something adjusting the the fixture and/or its controls or
replacing a bulb in a metal fixture and there was a fault there is a
remote possibility of an electric shock or a fall due to being shocked
unexpectedly! Also in interests of safety; if/when wiring up the plug
make sure the 'hot' and 'neutral' wires are on the correct pins of the
plug!

Thanks to everyone.... I will hard wire the light to the panel box. I
guess there's no sense 'Mickey Mousin' it.

Second failed security (PIR?) light Clive UK diy 11 November 18th 09 07:36 PM
security light Minnie Home Repair 4 February 17th 07 05:11 PM
help with security light/voltmeter [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 8th 06 08:35 AM
security light NC UK diy 7 September 24th 05 02:16 PM
Security light with PIR? anon UK diy 5 August 22nd 04 11:44 PM