Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help with security light/voltmeter

Hi,
There is a security motion sensor light on the end of the house that
does not work.
I'm going to replace the unit but cannot locate the correct breaker
that controls the
power to that light. I guess I could turn every breaker off, but I
would like to know which
one controls it. Since it does not work its hard to tell.
How do you use a voltmeter to test such a thing without getting
electrocuted?
Its a standard security light with two floodlamps and a square sensor
in the middle.

thx,

itchy

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can get an inductive tester for maybe 6$ you hold near the wires it
will tell you if there is power. Did you try the light in test mode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
You can get an inductive tester for maybe 6$ you hold near the wires it
will tell you if there is power. Did you try the light in test mode.

Thanks I will look for one of these. I remember a maintenance fellow at
work using one of these when the power went off. Didn't know what it
was at the time however.
Yes I switched the back switch to test mode but it did not help.
itchy