Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Historical furnace or heater question.

Can anyone give me any information on when a fail safe circuit using a
thermocouple or pilot generator for a heater became standard for
household use or when it became mandatory for manufacturers of
furnaces.

I have an Adrews floor heater. Yes it’s VERY old. It doesn’t seem to
have a fail safe circuit. I am very curious as the whether it never
had it or if someone messed with it.

Yes I know all about pushing in and holding down the pilot control rod
to light the pilot but this rod isn’t going down or up, it only
turns.
Yes I know I should replace the entire heater and I am in the process
of replacing it now or very soon. I am simply curious about its
operation that is all. Any historic information you can give would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 7:11*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
Can anyone give me any information on when a fail safe circuit using a
thermocouple or pilot generator for a heater became standard for
household use or when it became mandatory for manufacturers of
furnaces.

I have an Adrews floor heater. Yes it’s VERY old. It doesn’t seem to
have a fail safe circuit. I am very curious as the whether it never
had it or if someone messed with it.

Yes I know all about pushing in and holding down the pilot control rod
to light the pilot but this rod isn’t going down or up, it only
turns.
Yes I know I should replace the entire heater and I am in the process
of replacing it now or very soon. I am simply curious about its
operation that is all. Any historic information you can give would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.

conversion burners installed in the 1950s had thermocouple protection.
but I dont know how early it started, except I checked out a really
ancient water heater from the 20s, that had no thermocouple
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 7:11*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
Can anyone give me any information on when a fail safe circuit using a
thermocouple or pilot generator for a heater became standard for
household use or when it became mandatory for manufacturers of
furnaces.

I have an Adrews floor heater. Yes it’s VERY old. It doesn’t seem to
have a fail safe circuit. I am very curious as the whether it never
had it or if someone messed with it.

Yes I know all about pushing in and holding down the pilot control rod
to light the pilot but this rod isn’t going down or up, it only
turns.
Yes I know I should replace the entire heater and I am in the process
of replacing it now or very soon. I am simply curious about its
operation that is all. Any historic information you can give would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Homes that have swimming pools may have a very serious danger when it
comes to spontaneous combustion. Powedered swimming pool chlorine
mixed with oily rags is a deadly combination.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:17:34 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 10, 7:11Â*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Some had flame sensors instead of thermocouples. (CaDS - cadmium
disulphide) photocells.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message

Can anyone give me any information on when a fail safe circuit using a
thermocouple or pilot generator for a heater became standard for
household use or when it became mandatory for manufacturers of
furnaces.

I have an Adrews floor heater. Yes it’s VERY old. It doesn’t seem to
have a fail safe circuit. I am very curious as the whether it never
had it or if someone messed with it.

Yes I know all about pushing in and holding down the pilot control rod
to light the pilot but this rod isn’t going down or up, it only
turns.
Yes I know I should replace the entire heater and I am in the process
of replacing it now or very soon. I am simply curious about its
operation that is all. Any historic information you can give would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My belief is that any gas heating unit with an electromechanical solenoid
valve that opens and closes the main gas valve, and being controlled by some
type of temperature sensor, would have to have some mechanism to assure
flame.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think RBM hit the nail on the head. I have seen floor furnaces that
were not thermostatically controlled that didn't have any safety, but
they work about like a top burner on a gas stove, or a gas space heater.
You just turn the valve on and off, and adjust the size of the fire to
the amount of heat wanted. These furnaces were also antiques when I saw
them about 35 years ago. Some thermostatically controlled units had
mechanical safeties that worked with a bimetal that bowed when heated by
the pilot and opened a valve built into the burner to let gas through,
and closed it when the pilot was out. They were not 100% to begin with--
they did not stop the gas to the pilot-- but the valve would often stick
open, or partially oped, so they were not very safe at all. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message

Can anyone give me any information on when a fail safe circuit using a
thermocouple or pilot generator for a heater became standard for
household use or when it became mandatory for manufacturers of
furnaces.

I have an Adrews floor heater. Yes it’s VERY old. It doesn’t seem to
have a fail safe circuit. I am very curious as the whether it never
had it or if someone messed with it.

Yes I know all about pushing in and holding down the pilot control rod
to light the pilot but this rod isn’t going down or up, it only
turns.
Yes I know I should replace the entire heater and I am in the process
of replacing it now or very soon. I am simply curious about its
operation that is all. Any historic information you can give would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Molly,

Since you have the red button you need to push to light the pilot, you do
have a gas safety valve. The red button allows gas to flow to the pilot
light until the pilot light heats up a thermocouple. The thermocouple
creates a small amount of electricity when heated and that holds the safety
valve open allowing gas to flow to the main burner. If the pilot light were
to be extinguished, the power flowing to the coil in the safety valve would
shut off all the gas.

If you have concerns about the safety of the furnace, you gas company will
usually perform a free safety check. The biggest concern with something
that old is a cracked heat exchanger. If the heat exchanger is cracked the
flue gasses could enter your home instead of going up the flue pipe.

The old unit is also a lot less efficient than a modern furnace, so you are
burning more gas than you would to get the same heat with a more efficient
unit.

Hope this helps.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 5:21�am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
[...]

the gas company will likely inspect the entire house and could red tag
it shutting off all gas and heat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 2:21*am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
[...]

No red button. Just a lever to turn the gas on or off to the pilot. No
thermocouple. The gas to the pilot is either on or off and is
controlled by the lever. No I don’t have a concern about the safety. I
know it’s unsafe. I simply wanted to know if that’s how it was when it
was first designed before 1949. It was unsafe to have cast iron steam
engines but people used them anyway just because that’s all they
knew.

No red button. Just a lever to turn the gas on or off to the pilot. No
thermocouple. The gas to the pilot is either on or off and is
controlled by the lever. No I don’t have a concern about the safety. I
know it’s unsafe. I simply wanted to know if that’s how it was when it
was first designed before 1949. It was unsafe to have cast iron steam
engines but people used them anyway just because that’s all they knew.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
[...]

How is the main gas burner turned on and off?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote in message

No red button. Just a lever to turn the gas on or off to the pilot. No
thermocouple. The gas to the pilot is either on or off and is
controlled by the lever. No I don’t have a concern about the safety. I
know it’s unsafe. I simply wanted to know if that’s how it was when it
was first designed before 1949. ...

I'm quite sure it was. I have a heater of roughly that vintage operates
same way. It was in the bathroom of the house in which I grew up which
was moved from the location for the AAF base built during WW II as a
B-24 training base. That was '42; whether the heater was in the house
when it was moved or was added at the time of the move I don't know but
it provides an indicator of when such was still in practice. BTW, the
heater is still in use in the well house for freeze protection...never
been an issue in some 60+ years so it's one of those "could be, but
practically doesn't seem to be" much of an issue.

Actually, as I write this and thinking -- I've never had the thing apart
enough to figure out where it is, but somewhere even in this there is a
control--when the pilot is out, the main doesn't come on even though
there is buildup from the pilot. It has never accumulated enough to
have been an issue, however.

How is the main gas burner turned on and off?

Like the above heater, undoubtedly w/ a wrench at the disconnect valve.

The burner itself, as noted above, does have a control and it's clear it
has to or the burner flame would have to be on continuously. I'm
presuming there must be a bimetallic strip in Mollie's as well just as
there must be in this guy, too; I just am not positive where it is now.
Come spring when I turn it off maybe I'll explore some if this topic
hasn't been totally forgotten by then...