Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bottom of garage door question

Hi all. My garage door is old (maybe 30 years) and probably needs to
be replaced - but not right now. In the short term, I'm seeking a
little advice from the good folks here. When the door is closed, the
middle of the door makes good contact with the floor, but I can see
daylight on both ends. I bought another rubber strip for the bottom
of the door, cut it into pieces and nailed a few pieces to both ends,
but that didn't really have the desired effect - I can still see
daylight under the ends when the door is closed. Here is what I'm
pondering - what if I remove the rubber strip(s) currently on the
door, get some paint stirrers and staple them to the bottom of the
door (3 stacked on the very end, then 2 next to the 3, then 1) to fill
in the space. Then re-attach the rubber strip. The idea being to
fill the gaps with the paint stirrers. A friend suggested maybe just
nailing the paint stirrers to the inside (back) of the door at the
bottom rather than attaching them to the bottom to block the opening,
so that is also a possibility.

Any of you folks had to deal with such a situation? How did you fix
it (short of replacing the door)?

Mike