Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chain saw questions

My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and maybe
even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force the
pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and
squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve B wrote:

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and
squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Master link on any ones I've ever had; afaik that's universal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 12/02/2009 04:42 PM, Steve B wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and
maybe even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to
force the pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin
in and squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

You usually never mess with links on a chain saw. You buy the correct
size.

Unless you have a big roll of chain saw chain handy. Then you'd be stupid to do
otherwise.

That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when you have a
1000 foot roll on the shelf.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and maybe
even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force
the pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and
squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm suprised you came across a "roll".... chainsaw chain is like a
"sealed unit" that has no master link as you asked. It's done like that for
safety because if a tree limb happened to knock the master link off and the
chain broke in two there is no way of telling where that chain would whip
around and what body part it would connect with etc. I personally know what
it's like to get bit by a chainsaw as a few years ago I bounced a running
chainsaw off my ankle... Chainsaw chain is bought by a sealed length and
thickness... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I know that. However, in my part of the world, it is very common
practice for a shop to have a long roll of chain, and to custom make
chains. Among loggers, it is common to cut chains from a long piece rather
than to buy precut chains, which are more money.

Steve
well then Steve...in "your part of the world" your answer sould be very
easy....ask the "shop" that sold you the chain? Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote

well then Steve...in "your part of the world" your answer sould be very
easy....ask the "shop" that sold you the chain? Jim

I intend to do that tomorrow. However, I thought that someone here might
have some experience with this. Isn't that what we have the newsgroup for,
people looking for answers from more experienced people?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:38:59 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote

well then Steve...in "your part of the world" your answer sould be very
easy....ask the "shop" that sold you the chain? Jim

I intend to do that tomorrow. However, I thought that someone here might
have some experience with this. Isn't that what we have the newsgroup for,
people looking for answers from more experienced people?

Zackly-- As Plato might have said; "One asks, many answer, all
learn"

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote

well then Steve...in "your part of the world" your answer sould be very
easy....ask the "shop" that sold you the chain? Jim

I intend to do that tomorrow. However, I thought that someone here might
have some experience with this. Isn't that what we have the newsgroup
for, people looking for answers from more experienced people?

Steve

That's the intent.

But unfortunately a bunch of guys-- most probably with short or limp
Johnsons-- for the first time in their lives can exercise some "power" here
by sounding aggressive or being critical of others in the NG.

Most of these guys' usual dealing with people include phrases like "Would
you like fries with that" or "I've finished mowing your lawn and blowing the
leaves, same time next week?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:00:16 -0500, "Red" wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote

well then Steve...in "your part of the world" your answer sould be very
easy....ask the "shop" that sold you the chain? Jim

I intend to do that tomorrow. However, I thought that someone here might
have some experience with this. Isn't that what we have the newsgroup
for, people looking for answers from more experienced people?

Steve

That's the intent.

But unfortunately a bunch of guys-- most probably with short or limp
Johnsons-- for the first time in their lives can exercise some "power" here
by sounding aggressive or being critical of others in the NG.

Notice that most of them also have those cutesy 'nospam' addresses so
they don't get those big mean emails that they apparently don't know
how to delete.

Most of these guys' usual dealing with people include phrases like "Would
you like fries with that" or "I've finished mowing your lawn and blowing the
leaves, same time next week?"

You're too kind.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 8:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote

well then Steve...in "your part of the world" your answer sould be very
easy....ask the "shop" that sold you the chain? *Jim

I intend to do that tomorrow. *However, I thought that someone here might
have some experience with this. *Isn't that what we have the newsgroup for,
people looking for answers from more experienced people?

Steve

Haven't read the entire thread yet but..

No, there is no "master link" The tool should have a screw type punch
to force out one of the rivets (if you are repairing a chain).

To make a new loop, you count off the number of drivers you need, get
out a repair link pack (not sure what thr right name is) conatinaing
one chain strap with two 'pegs' riveted in and one free side strap.
Connect the chain, put in the rivet spinner and screw it down
(twice). You're done.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 12/02/2009 06:12 PM, Bob F wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 12/02/2009 04:42 PM, Steve B wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and
maybe even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to
force the pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin
in and squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

You usually never mess with links on a chain saw. You buy the
correct size.

Unless you have a big roll of chain saw chain handy. Then you'd be
stupid to do otherwise.

That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when
you have a 1000 foot roll on the shelf.

Did you ever see a roll of saw chain?

No. I haven't been so lucky. But the O.P. has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
On 12/02/2009 04:42 PM, Steve B wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and
maybe
even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force
the
pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in
and
squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

You usually never mess with links on a chain saw. You buy the correct
size.

If you don't know anything about the subject, just say so or please
refrain from answering. It's okay. Really.

Steve

It's never stopped me. :-P

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

But unfortunately a bunch of guys-- most probably with short or limp
Johnsons-- for the first time in their lives can exercise some
"power" here by sounding aggressive or being critical of others in
the NG.

Notice that most of them also have those cutesy 'nospam' addresses so
they don't get those big mean emails that they apparently don't know
how to delete.

FWIW, mine is a perfectly valid address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:

On 12/02/2009 06:12 PM, Bob F wrote:

-snip-
That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when you have a
1000 foot roll on the shelf.

Did you ever see a roll of saw chain?

Yeah. You could too, if you follow this link;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...saw+chain+bulk

It ain't rare.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 4:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and maybe
even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force the
pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and
squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

Chain breakers are similar to the MC one but the rivets are upset with
a tool that spins and compresses them.
Smacking them is a bad idea because each rivet is also a bearing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 12/02/2009 04:42 PM, Steve B wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and
maybe even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to
force the pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin
in and squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

You usually never mess with links on a chain saw. You buy the correct
size.

Unless you have a big roll of chain saw chain handy. Then you'd be stupid
to do
otherwise.

That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when you
have a
1000 foot roll on the shelf.

Did you ever see a roll of saw chain?

Yes.

It is common in Utah.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and maybe
even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force the
pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and
squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

First things first. All chainsaw chains are not alike. The 'inside' of
them is different for different brand chainsaws. Make sure it's the
proper type chain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 12/02/2009 04:42 PM, Steve B wrote:
My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and
maybe even a sharpener.

Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to
force the pin out, or does one use a punch?

Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin
in and squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?

Steve

You usually never mess with links on a chain saw. You buy the correct
size.

Unless you have a big roll of chain saw chain handy. Then you'd be stupid to do
otherwise.

That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when you have a
1000 foot roll on the shelf.

Did you ever see a roll of saw chain?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, so can you in any saw dealership and most 'fix-it' shops.

Harry K