Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Interesting chain saw story with small associated questions

Interesting chain saw story with small associated questions.

I was using a small 16" electric chain saw to trim limbs from a dead
pine tree, and I was wacthing the tongue and the chain and noticed
that the chain was looser than it had been and actually went off an
eighth or quarter inch to the right of the top of the tongue, and
figured I'd better lengthen the tongue.

As soon as the cut was complete, I let go of the trigger, and when I
looked, there was no chain! I didn't see a thing! I didn't hear a
thing other than the normal sound. I can't find it!

I'm doing this over some bushes, along with ground cover. Did the
entire chain get below the ivy? The saw has standard configuration.
Is the chain more likely to have gone forward, backward, to the right,
or straight down.?

I've looked about 6 feet ahead, 3 feet to the side, and 2 feet back.
How far could it go? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

If the chain broke, you will need a new chain anyway. Note the length of the
chain as listed on the saw, then go get a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:48:55 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Good point.

Hmmm. Because of all that slack, I had been thinking it didn't break,
just slipped off.

Hmmm. If the loose part was at the top and progresse forward to the
nose where it could acuallly slip off, it would have fallen off the
nose first and then off the drive gear next. I'll bet is is right
below where I was. That would account for why I didn't see anything.
Now I have to go look some more.

I still think this is very funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:12:11 -0400, "__ Bøb __"
wrote:

Hmmm. Because of all that slack, I had been thinking it didn't break,
just slipped off.

If the chain came off of the saw .. it broke !!
I still think this is very funny.

It would be far less funny if it came back at YOU when it did break !!

Very true. I went out and looked again another 10 or 15 minutes. I
still can't find the chain.

It's definitely not right below where the saw was. There's no ivy
there and it would have had to stay on top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

It's definitely not right below where the saw was. There's no ivy
there and it would have had to stay on top.

I suppose it could have launched straight out forward some distance if a
link broke. Perhaps even 15 or 20 ft.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Got one of those "nail pick-up magnets"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Just mow. you'll find it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

[...]

Look in the mirror and smile. Braces in tact? Yes but you don't wear
braces. There's your chain.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 19 May 2009 21:43:22 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

I've looked about 6 feet ahead, 3 feet to the side, and 2 feet back.
How far could it go? :-)

Just mow. you'll find it.

LOL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Steve Barker wrote in news:i-
:

mm wrote:
[...]

lol, so true.

Or, go searching with a magnet on a stick. Bigass magnet, about 2"
diameter or larger, to be precise. No garage is complete without one.
(unless you LIKE crawling to reach the socket you dropped, which
inevitably rolls to the low spot of the floor, which is approximately
directly below the front U-joint of your car's driveshaft...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hmmm. Because of all that slack, I had been thinking it didn't break,
just slipped off.

If the chain came off of the saw .. it broke !!
I still think this is very funny.

It would be far less funny if it came back at YOU when it did break !!

Very true. I went out and looked again another 10 or 15 minutes. I
still can't find the chain.

It's definitely not right below where the saw was. There's no ivy
there and it would have had to stay on top.

If a link broke, and chain didn't hit you, it almost has to be forward,
in the direction bar was pointed at. Could be quite a ways, if bar was
pointed up. I take it you were wearing earmuffs and gloves, and didn't
hear or feel a clank?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Hmmm. Because of all that slack, I had been thinking it didn't break,
just slipped off.

If the chain came off of the saw .. it broke !!
I still think this is very funny.

It would be far less funny if it came back at YOU when it did break !!

Very true. I went out and looked again another 10 or 15 minutes. I
still can't find the chain.

It's definitely not right below where the saw was. There's no ivy
there and it would have had to stay on top.

If a link broke, and chain didn't hit you, it almost has to be forward,
in the direction bar was pointed at. Could be quite a ways, if bar was
pointed up. I take it you were wearing earmuffs and gloves, and didn't
hear or feel a clank?

Thanks. I will look some more today. It didn't rain last night but I
still have this feeling that there will be a little rust that will
glow like a beacon and I'll find it now.

The electic saw makes very little noise so no earmuffs, and my eye was
on the tongue the entire time. On the middle of the tongue but it's
only 16 inches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I can't find my metal detector I usually attach a big magnet to a shovel
and start go back and forth in a search pattern. Never lost anything as big
as a saw chain though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 2:32*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Could it be all scrunched up inside the saw somehow? -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
On May 19, 2:32 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Ooh, I like it! Depends on the saw, of course, but I have had WTF
moments like that myself, taking things apart- 'How did that get there?'

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 May 2009 13:29:14 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

I've looked about 6 feet ahead, 3 feet to the side, and 2 feet back.
How far could it go? *:-)

Could it be all scrunched up inside the saw somehow? -- H

Very good idea. Thanks. I looked once, in dim light, but becausae of
your post, I loooked again. Not there. There was really no room in
this electric chain saw for more than 10 inches of chain, instead of
the 32 inches or more that are missing.

So today, I was going to get on my hands and knees again, but I found
the chain as soon as I walked up to the bushes. Right on the ground
in a little pile, two feet behind where I had been holding the saw.
It was on the grass surrounded on 3 sides by the bed for the bushes,
and obscured by a bush when standing right above it, but not from the
sides where I had also stood to look before.

This time maybe the sun was in the right place, because the rivets
were very apparent.

Not broken, not rusty at all after three nights.