Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Having problem with Toshiba 36AFX61 CRT and interesting story to boot

Hi,

This is my first post to the forums although I used to read them when I
was working for Toshiba and I wanted to read the latest gossip about
whatever products we were working on..

I bought a Toshiba 36AFX61 Digital CRT about 2 years ago from Toshiba.
(refurb, probably a bad idea). Anyway, it has developed a really
annoying problem. After watching TV for 15-20 minutes, it starts
emmitting a loud high pitched noise. It is about as loud as the volume
so it's pretty difficult to ignore. In fact, I can hear it in the next
room as I sit here and type. It's pretty much constant although it
drops out for a few minutes from time to time. If I turn it off and
turn it back on, the high pitch noise comes right back.

I tried turning off the sound, so I know that it's not coming from the
speakers and I tried changing inputs/unplugging inputs to see if it was
related to any of those comopnents, but no luck. I think it may have
to do with the video display because the noise fluctuates when the
picture changes drastically.

I tried to get it repaired by some cheap guys in my area. It took them
a month to finally fix it because supposedly the part, which was some
audio component, was out of stock. The guy said they usually stop
selling parts for TV's after they are 5 yrs old and this TV is about 5
yrs old. They eventually found a used part and sold it to me at a
discount. The TV worked fine for about a month, but eventually the
noise came back. Pretty much snake oil. It was gradual at first and
for a while I could slap the side of the TV set and it would go away.
However, before long, the bane of my TV watching was back again in full
force.

So, now I have to look into either shelling out some serious cash to
get it fixed by an authorized repair dealer or buy a new TV. At $75
just to get it looked at, I'm reluctant to take it in unless I know
i'll get some results. Being an older TV, does the problem sound
remotely fixable? Any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks,

Garret Hamann

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Since it is the same fault that returned, there is a chance that this is a
design fault, or he didn't fix it properly in the first place. There are
many things that can cause a set to have the problem you are describing.

Knowing the set you have, I would have never bought it in the first place,
and definitely would have never put any money in to servicing it. Now you
have a set that is over 5 years old, and there are many issues that can come
up in an older set.

The most feasible thing you can do, is to invest in a new set that comes
with a warranty. It should be good for 5 to 7 years average if it is a CRT
set. There are many great deals on CRT sets, since they are going out of
production. At least with a new set, you will be worry free for a long time.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

Default Having problem with Toshiba 36AFX61 CRT and interesting storyt...

Its most likely a transformer coil on the circuit board . This can
usually be found by pushing on the parts with a non metal object .
Proceed with caution around high voltage in tv sets .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
inty's world

it' a "stupid" problem... try with another repair shop
but if you worked at toshiba, why do you not repair this by yourself?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unfrotunately, I did software. But, you make a good point..