Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp sockets that don't suck

Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in two
years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China lamp
and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in two
years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China lamp
and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

Hi,
Try to find a real vintage one at garage sale or flea market.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 9:38*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in two
years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China lamp
and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

not cheap

http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cf...0Base%20Socket

I have purchased repair parts for antique lamps & fixtures that I
wanted to restore...good stuff.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in
two years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China
lamp and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

Is it the switch itself, ie the rotating knob ditty that goes bad? Almost
guarownteed in these **** lamps, clamp-ons, Staple stuff. The switch starts
grinding, getting harder and harder to turn..

I put 3--in-1 oil down the shaft of the switch. I think it's important to
do this early, cuz once that goddamm switch starts grinding, failure is not
far away. The oil seems to significantly extend the life even at the
grinding point, but best to catch it even earlier.

I believe this is deliberate -- nothing is "allowed" to last anymore.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in two
years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China lamp
and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

You might try going to a real electric supply supply house and ask for
non big box quality. There are at least three in my area that will sell
you either big box quality or real sockets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in
two
years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China lamp
and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

not cheap

http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cf...0Base%20Socket

I have purchased repair parts for antique lamps & fixtures that I
wanted to restore...good stuff.

cheers
Bob

===============

Interesting source, and not overpriced when compared with having my house
burn down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

George wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to
crap in two years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's
made-in-China lamp and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.

You might try going to a real electric supply supply house and ask for
non big box quality. There are at least three in my area that will
sell you either big box quality or real sockets.

What you want are ceramic sockets with brass threaded inserts. Avoid any
plastic with aluminum inserts, the plastic will become brittle and crack and
the aluminum will corrode with the bulb base, so that the bulbs will not
unscrew without breaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:38:51 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:
I put 3--in-1 oil down the shaft of the switch. I think it's important to
do this early, cuz once that goddamm switch starts grinding, failure is not
far away. The oil seems to significantly extend the life even at the
grinding point, but best to catch it even earlier.

I believe this is deliberate -- nothing is "allowed" to last anymore.

It's nothing new, although it feels* like it - see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence for a depressing read :-)

* I think part of the reason it's got worse is that people stopped
caring about doing routine maintenance, so manufacturers found ways of
making stuff last just that little bit longer than something that wasn't
maintained properly - and of course they could easily sell it to the lazy
masses as "improved reliability" :-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:38:51 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:
I put 3--in-1 oil down the shaft of the switch. I think it's important
do this early, cuz once that goddamm switch starts grinding, failure is
not
far away. The oil seems to significantly extend the life even at the
grinding point, but best to catch it even earlier.

I believe this is deliberate -- nothing is "allowed" to last anymore.

It's nothing new, although it feels* like it - see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence for a depressing read
:-)

* I think part of the reason it's got worse is that people stopped
caring about doing routine maintenance, so manufacturers found ways of
making stuff last just that little bit longer than something that wasn't
maintained properly - and of course they could easily sell it to the lazy
masses as "improved reliability" :-(

Excellent point.

And for these ****ty rotary or push-switch sockets, they must have a whole
R&D pgm devoted to getting the failure timed just right. It's really
inexcusable, quite a hostile act toward the consumer.

Some of these Grand-street type sockets will last pert near 100 years. The
only thing that goes bad is the insulating cardboard wears out -- which
nylon would address right nice.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:01:11 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:
And for these ****ty rotary or push-switch sockets, they must have a whole
R&D pgm devoted to getting the failure timed just right. It's really
inexcusable, quite a hostile act toward the consumer.

Not hard, I suppose - build a few automated test rigs to test the switches
to destruction, and keep weakening the parts until you get one that breaks
right when you want it to :-)

Some of these Grand-street type sockets will last pert near 100 years.
The only thing that goes bad is the insulating cardboard wears out --
which nylon would address right nice.

Main problems I've seen with really old electrical stuff is that
switch contacts can eventually wear/burn out (difficult to do a DIY fix),
and the old insulating bodies can break down and create a low-resistance
path across the body...