Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ryobi tools

They are good low quality tools. They will be more likely to have
sleeve bearings instead of ball bearings, etc. Good tools for the
DIY, won't last as long in heavy daily use.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"desgnr" wrote in message
Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

Depends on the tool. Most are about as good as harbor freight stuff, except
they are two to three times the cost.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Are Ryobi tools good ?

The cordless drills make good paperweights.

They are OK for low use homeowner stuff, but not pro quality. If you want
them for small projects around the house, they should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 28, 9:56*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

snip

They make good Christmas presents for someone not very high on your
list.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

Hi,
For general purpose home use, I'd go for Sears Craftsman stuff.
Most of my power tools are Milwaukee, old Porter Cable, DeWalt,
Bosch. They never let me down with big or small project.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:48:41 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
desgnr wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

Hi,
For general purpose home use, I'd go for Sears Craftsman stuff.

You might as well buy the cheapest items you can find at kmart or walmart.
They're the same as craftsman, minus the overhyped brand name.

Kmart is of course the same company as sears, but they don't mark up
1000% for the craftsman name.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 9:56*am, "desgnr" wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I know a pro that has all their tools and is happy, he did months
worth of work for me with them. They are not the best heavy duty tools
but I own a few and am happy since the price is great. My friend has
HF and his 18v circular saw he said doesnt compare to Ryobi which I
own. For everyday hard use maybe get something better, Ridgid the HD
brand has the best warranty and HD is easy to work with. Id say for
the price and homeowner use Ryobi is very good, much better than HF or
B&D, B&D I consider as, its gonna break soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:56:00 -0500, "desgnr"
wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

Most are lower-end quality. The Ryobi belt sander is quite good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

Consumer Reports evaluations of cordless drills: Dec. 2007, Nov. 2008,
Nov. 2009
The last two articles are really stripped down and list only about
15-20 products out of over 60 tested. In the latest one, among drills
for general use they listed the 18V lithium battery Ryobi #3 (#2 a
year earlier, when they listed an 18V nicad Ryobi #8). Generally
they've ranked Ryobi higher than Skil, Black & Decker Firestorm and
way above the Harbor Freight brands, like Central Machinery, but below
the contractor brands, like DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Bosch, Makita,
Milwaukee, and Panasonic. Among the latter, a 14.4V - 15.6V drill
will usually perform as well as an 18V Ryobi. I believe the Sears
Craftsman 19.2V drill is by Ryobi, as are a lot of their portable
power tools now. As for sleeve bearings, the Ryobi cordless drills
with single-speed gearboxes (drills are still variable speed) have
them, but those with dual-speed gearboxes are almost all ball
bearings. I have a 13 amp Ryobi circular saw that I believe has no
sleeve bearings, at least none in exposed areas, but I haven't checked
my biscuit jointer or handheld plane.

If you want to save money in the long term, maybe the best choice is
Home Depot Ridgid because of the lifetime warranty, including for
batteries. Better yet, if you don't need to work where 120VAC is
unavailable or too hazardous to use, stick with corded tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

snip

If you want to save money in the long term, maybe the best choice is
Home Depot Ridgid because of the lifetime warranty, including for
batteries. Better yet, if you don't need to work where 120VAC is
unavailable or too hazardous to use, stick with corded tools.

Ryobi and Ridgid (and Milwaukee) are part of the same parent company,
but of course the batteries are not interchangeable.

Are Ridgid actually better than Ryobi, or are they the same tool (except
for the battery and the color) but with a better warranty?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Ryobi and Ridgid (and Milwaukee) are part of the same parent company, but
of course the batteries are not interchangeable.

Are Ridgid actually better than Ryobi, or are they the same tool (except
for the battery and the color) but with a better warranty?

Perce

They used to be separate companies with nothing in common, but that may have
changed with acquisition. Ridgid power tools were products of Emerson
Electric at one time. I'd expect some consolidation of brands at some
point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 9:56 am, "desgnr" wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

I know a pro that has all their tools and is happy, he did months
worth of work for me with them. They are not the best heavy duty tools
but I own a few and am happy since the price is great. My friend has
HF and his 18v circular saw he said doesnt compare to Ryobi which I
own. For everyday hard use maybe get something better, Ridgid the HD
brand has the best warranty and HD is easy to work with. Id say for
the price and homeowner use Ryobi is very good, much better than HF or
B&D, B&D I consider as, its gonna break soon.

Ryobi is GREAT for the DIY'er or handyman which is the intended
customers...I have the chop saw , skillsaw , tablesaw and a dufflebag full
of cordless tools and love them..Total cost...less than 500 bucks...I NEVER
could have afforded to buy the pro brands and have everything I have... Also
, I have no need to "show off " or make up for other "short comings" by
buying pro brands to brag about....The only faults I found were the saw
blades are CRAP and the batteries only last a few years...Maybe the new
Lithium ones are better ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
Ryobi is GREAT for the DIY'er or handyman which is the intended
customers...I have the chop saw , skillsaw , tablesaw and a dufflebag full
of cordless tools and love them..Total cost...less than 500 bucks...I
NEVER could have afforded to buy the pro brands and have everything I
have... Also , I have no need to "show off " or make up for other "short
comings" by buying pro brands to brag about....

Not a question of bragging or showing off. My Ryobi drill has needed two
repairs and new battery in a short time. My Panasonic is lighter, more
powerful, more durable with many more hours now than the Ryobi. The Ryobi
stuff is suitable for many people, but will never equal the pro stuff for
heavier users. Everyone has different needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in news:herh6j$22oh$1
@adenine.netfront.net:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

Yes, for throwing at cars that have loudspeakers in the grill playing rap
crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
Ryobi is GREAT for the DIY'er or handyman which is the intended
customers...I have the chop saw , skillsaw , tablesaw and a dufflebag
full of cordless tools and love them..Total cost...less than 500
bucks...I NEVER could have afforded to buy the pro brands and have
everything I have... Also , I have no need to "show off " or make up for
other "short comings" by buying pro brands to brag about....

Not a question of bragging or showing off. My Ryobi drill has needed two
repairs and new battery in a short time. My Panasonic is lighter, more
powerful, more durable with many more hours now than the Ryobi. The Ryobi
stuff is suitable for many people, but will never equal the pro stuff for
heavier users. Everyone has different needs.

A while back I got a Dewalt 1/2 inch drill for work that was JUNK right out
of the box...Started smoking on the first pail of mud I was mixing...The one
I had before was good and the one I exchanged the junk one for is fine...I
suppose I should have judged ALL Dewalt tools on that one bad one ??? I go
through them every few years ...Mixing hundreds of buckets of joint compound
a year is kinda hard on them...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
A while back I got a Dewalt 1/2 inch drill for work that was JUNK right
out of the box...Started smoking on the first pail of mud I was
mixing...The one I had before was good and the one I exchanged the junk
one for is fine...I suppose I should have judged ALL Dewalt tools on that
one bad one ??? I go through them every few years ...Mixing hundreds of
buckets of joint compound a year is kinda hard on them...LOL...

Yes, you should have. The guys at work with DeWalt drills are now using
other brands. Most had the transmission replaced a couple of times. I'd
not have one based on their experience.

I recently tossed a Ryobi 18V that one of they guys used because it burned
up drilling a hole in steel. Used as a driver for screws it was OK but not
for real industrial work. The Ryobi was good for about 5 holes and dies,
but a Milwaukee did the other 90 holes with no problems.

The 10 year old Porter Cable is still working though, but I'm not so sure
about the new ones since they've been bought out.

My comments are not based on one drill, but what I've observed over the past
15 years where people use cordless tools on a regular basis. That include
other tools such as circular saw, reciprocating saw and a few others.

How about sawing concrete? The two B & D (corded) saws did not cut more
than 5' each but the Skil did 20 feet and the Milwaukee is still working
after 100'. Polishing? A Dremel lasted a two weeks, the Fordham is still
working after 5 years.

I do like the DeWalt miter saw though and a Rigid chop saw is still working
after a number or years after cutting a lot of Schedule 40 pipe. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:56:00 -0500, desgnr wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

I had their hammer drill and after using the hammer portion once the soft
metal chuck lost it's grip and was essentially unusable. Otherwise, not bad
for average home use. MUCH better than HF (my son's 18v wouldn't replace
the outlets in one room without needing a charge). Rigid is a big step up.
Or check out some pawn shops for some OLD Porter Cable, older Dewalt,
Milwaukee, Hilti, etc., if on a budget. Just make sure you know the price
of new. One pawn shop in town sells used at new or nearly new prices. A
$250 scaffolding (those small yellow ones on wheels and fully adjustable)
was priced at $299 and was in filthy shape. I've seen some at $150 on sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

Ryobi was NEVER intended for *industrial use*...LOL..You do realize the
difference between homeowner quality and pro quality ??? What dolt would
bring a Ryobi or B&D tool to an *industrial* jobsite..I bet they never heard
the end of it....LOL....I have tried a Makita 1/2 inch drill...Only lasted a
year....Maybe I'll try a Rigid or Milwaukee next....Hard to beat Dewalt's
price...Half of the Milwaukee...I just wonder if it will last more than
the 3 years I get out a Dewalt mixing several pails of joint compound a day
every day to justify the extra money...Only one way to find out I guess....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:56:00 -0500, desgnr wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

I had their hammer drill and after using the hammer portion once the soft
metal chuck lost it's grip and was essentially unusable. Otherwise, not
bad
for average home use. MUCH better than HF (my son's 18v wouldn't replace
the outlets in one room without needing a charge). Rigid is a big step up.
Or check out some pawn shops for some OLD Porter Cable, older Dewalt,
Milwaukee, Hilti, etc., if on a budget. Just make sure you know the price
of new. One pawn shop in town sells used at new or nearly new prices. A
$250 scaffolding (those small yellow ones on wheels and fully adjustable)
was priced at $299 and was in filthy shape. I've seen some at $150 on
sale.

If you only used it once you should have returned it...I bought a brand new
Baker for 200 bucks delivered....Pawn shops are a rip off...If you are gonna
buy used you should buy directly from the owner...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:00:29 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Pawn shops are only a rip off if you are foolish. The price on items
is often arbitrary and meaningless. Offer less than you want to pay
and work up from there. I recently bought a tool that was marked $350.
I got it for $125 after starting at $80.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"desgnr" wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

Yes, for throwing at cars that have loudspeakers in the grill playing
rap crap.

Don't even get me started on those damn things....

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Are Ryobi tools good ?

The one comment I might add is beware their rebates. I got burned on one
(yeah, I know, one is hardly a representative sampling) but this is the
fault of an unethical rebate processing company, not Ryobi. Nevertheless -
I'll never buy another Ryobi tool that has a rebate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
Ryobi was NEVER intended for *industrial use*...LOL..You do realize the
difference between homeowner quality and pro quality ??? What dolt would
bring a Ryobi or B&D tool to an *industrial* jobsite..I bet they never
heard the end of it....LOL....

We have a couple of cheap guys that think a low price is a bargain. They
drink cheap booze too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Yes, they are. They are reasonably priced. They are serviceable. They
have a decent warranty. They are made reasonably good. They just don't
last as long as others under hard use. And, tool for tool may not have the
additional bells and whistles of a similar tool from another manufacturer
that costs more. That is my humble opinion after owning them. I have one
of their table saws, a laser, a drill, and other "stuff". I would describe
their stuff as "for light duty and occasional use."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
"desgnr" wrote:

Are Ryobi tools good ?

Yes, for throwing at cars that have loudspeakers in the grill playing
rap crap.

Don't even get me started on those damn things....

Jon

Lemme know if you find any deals on LARS Rockets. Maybe we can get a
twofer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ryobi tools (and rebate failure)

Same deal. Radio Shack cell phone.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zootal" wrote in message

I'll never buy another Ryobi tool that has a rebate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just gangsta cock a nine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Yes, for throwing at cars that have loudspeakers in the
grill playing
rap crap.

Don't even get me started on those damn things....

Jon

Lemme know if you find any deals on LARS Rockets. Maybe we
can get a
twofer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How should we know. Why don't you pick up the phone and stop using
google groups and find out. (just trying to fit in)..:0) How's that..?
Am I cool now...oh. wait (here's more) I should have known, he's
using a 'dell' computer...LOL...

desgnr wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair

I send the rebate in 2-3 weeks before deadline. A couple months later the
rebate company sends my rebate form back saying the rebate claim form
arrived too late. Never mind that that postmark on the envelope clearly
showed it arriving on time. I went to Home Depot and complained, and the
lady there picked up the phone and called the rebate company asking wtf?
They (home depot people) then made copies of everything and resubmitted the
rebate for me. Home Depot gets an A+ for customer service, the rebate
company should get fired. I figured they just randomly reject rebates,
saying that they were late entries, and pocket the rebate money they should
have paid out to the customer.

A couple of months later a get a rebate check for one dollar, not the entire
rebate amount. At that point I give up, vowing never again to buy anything
that has a rebate. It just isn't worth it.

.

"Zootal" wrote in message

I'll never buy another Ryobi tool that has a rebate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote in news:3e3e5cf2-e3eb-4966-8e2b-
:

..... I should have known, he's
using a 'dell' computer...LOL...

http://i49.tinypic.com/vauts.jpg

desgnr wrote:
Are Ryobi tools good ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"benick" wrote in message
Ryobi is GREAT for the DIY'er or handyman which is the intended
customers...I have the chop saw , skillsaw , tablesaw and a dufflebag full
of cordless tools and love them..Total cost...less than 500 bucks...I
NEVER could have afforded to buy the pro brands and have everything I
have... Also , I have no need to "show off " or make up for other "short
comings" by buying pro brands to brag about....

Not a question of bragging or showing off. My Ryobi drill has needed two
repairs and new battery in a short time. My Panasonic is lighter, more
powerful, more durable with many more hours now than the Ryobi. The Ryobi
stuff is suitable for many people, but will never equal the pro stuff for
heavier users. Everyone has different needs.

Quite frankly, my Harbor Freight drill outlasted the Ryobi by a
longshot, and was cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:

The one comment I might add is beware their rebates. I got burned on one
(yeah, I know, one is hardly a representative sampling) but this is the
fault of an unethical rebate processing company, not Ryobi. Nevertheless -
I'll never buy another Ryobi tool that has a rebate.

What rebate company (or what city and state)?

The rebate forums at Fatwallet.com ("Deal Discussion") and
SlickDeals.net ("Rebate Tracking") have lots of information and tell
what processing companies are good and bad and what to do when the
company makes a mistake. Some of the people there are real experts
who've made thousands of submissions (one person received over $1,000
in rebate checks in one day, none of them for a large amount). I
wouldn't have given up but would have done a credit card chargeback
(in writing, to the special address for billing errors) if neither
Ryobi or Home Depot had come through (because court clerks tell people
who file lawsuits to name as the plaintiff the seller that advertised
the offer). It also doesn't hurt to file complaints at www.BBB.org.

using hand tools to build a woodworking work bench instead of power tools rank beginner Home Repair 7 August 10th 07 12:17 PM
Ryobi Tools Web Site nr Home Repair 11 May 28th 07 03:06 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
RYOBI 6x18 MINI LATHE,Ryobi means quality! [email protected] Woodworking 4 September 7th 05 11:14 PM
Quality of Ryobi tools (especially router) cyrille de brébisson Woodworking 9 December 5th 04 02:47 AM