Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Generator connections for us cheapskates

Smartass wrote:
Last week, the power went out for the first time since I got my generator.
It took about 80 minutes to get it hooked up and running. I could have
done it in 5 minutes if not for some special problems with my house
wiring, as well as two unforseen problems. The original plan (for a
properly wired house) is as follows:

Step #1 By far, the most important step is to disconnect the breaker panel
from the external power grid. Ordinarily, you just switch off the main
disconnect in the breaker panel. (Automated systems, costing upwards of
$1000, do this automatically before connecting the generator.)

Step #2 Plug the generator output cable into the nearest 240 vac outlet.
This requires a male-to-male cable with the appropriate connectors. I'm
not sure if you can buy one like this. It's not idiot proof, and it can
electrocute you if you don't know what you're doing.

OMG, please don't try this!
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
Smartass wrote:
[...]

Try this, someone here pointed it out
the last 6 times this topic surfaced.
http://www.interlockkit.com/
Also, no one has addressed this. If you
were stupid enough to leave the
panel connected to the power grid and
you connected the genset, wouldn't
the engine just die due to the huge
load? Unless, of course, you have a
huge generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
Smartass wrote:
[...]

huge generator.- Hide quoted text -

What happens when you start up the generator without disconnecting
from the external grid depends on who else is connected and how. In my
case, there are perhaps 5 other homes on the same transformer, and
several transformers on my dead end street. There is a 17 kv fuse
where the power comes off the trunk line, and the substation is 1/4
mile from that fuse.

Worst case: If the 17 kv fuse happens to be blown or disconnected, and
if all the other homes on my street have shut off their service
panels, then my generator output would be stepped up by the
transformer to supply 17 kv to the rest of the street. With 15 amps
240 vac from the generator, you could get up to .2 amp at 17 kv. Any
lineman working on th 17 kv line at the time would get quite a jolt
and perhaps be electrocuted.

Most likely case: My neighbors would be placing such a load on the
transformer that my generator's 15 amp breaker would trip instantly
without damaging anything. I'm not sure if the motor would continue
running after the circuit breaker is tripped; it depends on how it is
wired internally.

Another concern is what happens when power is restored on the external
grid. Obviously, I need to remove my ad hoc jumper wires in the panel,
but I wouldn't have those if the panel were up to code in the first
place. Second, if the generator is connected when power is restored,
it will attempt to maintain its own voltage. If the output voltage of
the power grid is even a fraction of a volt lower than the generator's
output, the generator's breaker will trip instantly. I'm not sure what
would happen if the grid voltage is higher; it might take a few
seconds for the breaker to trip, depending on how the generator is
wired internally.- Hide quoted text -

I forgot to mention that I, anniemalover, am also know as Smartass. I
took Stormin Mormon's advice and avoided going thru the Stucco site,
this time.