Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Generator connections for us cheapskates

Smartass wrote:
Last week, the power went out for the first time since I got my generator.
It took about 80 minutes to get it hooked up and running. I could have
done it in 5 minutes if not for some special problems with my house
wiring, as well as two unforseen problems. The original plan (for a
properly wired house) is as follows:

Step #1 By far, the most important step is to disconnect the breaker panel
from the external power grid. Ordinarily, you just switch off the main
disconnect in the breaker panel. (Automated systems, costing upwards of
$1000, do this automatically before connecting the generator.)

Step #2 Plug the generator output cable into the nearest 240 vac outlet.
This requires a male-to-male cable with the appropriate connectors. I'm
not sure if you can buy one like this. It's not idiot proof, and it can
electrocute you if you don't know what you're doing.

OMG, please don't try this!