Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fill cracks in block walls?

I have opened up some holes in the concrete block walls during my
electrical and plumbing projects, most of them the size slightly
larger than electrical boxes but some bigger.

I have decided that for the holes that are above the slab, I will use
those foamy GREAT STUFF products to just fill the gaps.

For holes that are on the wall but below the slab (my floor slab is
about 24" above grade) whether it may be above grade or below grade, I
will fill with some slurry mix or sand topping mix. The question I
have is how do I do this?

If I have a rough hole about 4"x4" in the block wall, a 3" pipe runs
through it, now I have narrow space of 1/2" more or less around the
edge of the pipe. How so I push or pack those mix in? Do I mix it
dry and push it in as much as I can with a stick? Does not think this
will create any uniform patch. Or do I mix it very wet and put it in
some sort of a cone with a small nozzle and try to force it into the
hole, sort of like how pastry chefs put cream in a paper cone and
squeeze them out to make patterns?

Thanks in advance,

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

You might want to try latex stucco patch for small, non-structural
spots. It comes plain and sanded, already mixed. We used it around our
condo prior to painting to patch chinks, broken-away chunks around dryer
vents, etc. Even used it for "mortar", along with concrete pavers, to
fill the base of a recessed opening where an old, rusted
fire-extinguisher cabinet had been. It shrinks a little bit, so where
we "mortared", we applied 2 or 3 more light coats to fill the lines
between blocks and make them look like the rest of the textured stucco
finish. After painting, can't tell we did the work, and it has lasted
fine for 8 years since. It would also allow a little flex around your
pipes. Very easy to work and to clean up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

You want to patch the wall of the block, not necessarily fill it, right?
Stuff in a piece of building paper (so mortar won't fall through the cell),
push it below the opening and trowel it in and on.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

An extremely easy product to use - Structolite. Bonds very well
to block. Needs only water to mix. Perform the gross fill and
hold it down about an 1/8 below finish. Apply final coat. It can
be struck off with a board leaving a slightly torn surface that
will look just like the block. You can strike fake "mortar lines"
just before it is set. Once painted it will look just like the
block. I use this method to "repair" block walls after the
plumbers have destroyed quite a batch on a remodel or repair.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/17/2009 10:45 AM (ET) MiamiCuse wrote the following:
[...]

I patched a 6" hole where my well water line came into the basement
through the poured concrete wall. This was right after I had the house
built and moved in and noticed water seeping through the hole.
I used Drylok Fast Plug which can be used even if the water is seeping
in at the time.
http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/patching/fastPlug.php

--

Bill