Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making outdoor conduit watertight

Did a small job yesterday making a short run of outdoor conduit
watertight; homeowner gave me the connectors (elbows and compression
fittings) and had me replace the existing ones.

The compression connectors were labeled "concrete tight", and when I
asked him if that meant they were truly watertight, he said he was told
they were by someone where he bought them (which I think was a big
orange store).

So what's the recommended practice to make metal conduit watertight?
Yes, I know one can use plastic, but I'm interested in how to make the
steel stuff withstand weather.

I have seen wiring failures in outdoor conduit caused by the ingress of
water; in one case, a nick in a wire caused by pulling it caused
corrosion to the point that the wire actually broke in two.

(This installation is mostly under an eave, so watertightness isn't
super-critical, but keeping water out is a Good Thing.)

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet