Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making outdoor conduit watertight

On 11/15/2009 10:04 PM DD_BobK spake thus:

On 11/15/2009 9:39 AM Wayne Whitney spake thus:

On 2009-11-14, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I have seen wiring failures in outdoor conduit caused by the ingress
of water; in one case, a nick in a wire caused by pulling it caused
corrosion to the point that the wire actually broke in two.

I think this is the wrong emphasis. The wiring failure was caused by
the nick in the wire; water in exterior conduit is a given, from rain
or just from condensation.

Yes. I guess the take-away here is to be extra careful fishing and
bending wires in outdoor conduit so as not to nick them.

The little job I had to do revealed one stranded and one solid wire in
the existing conduit. It really is a bitch to re-pull solid wire without
nicking it.

Use wire lube, it really helps.

Thanks. Next time I will.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet