Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Photo- Order of Operations to Refinish Table Top

As you can see, it's pretty nasty:
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...F4160Small.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote

As you can see, it's pretty nasty:
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...F4160Small.jpg

Yup, same pic. Thats a sanding job if it's not veneer and it looks like it
isnt. You'd be able to tell best on that. I wouldnt bother to chemically
strip first. That just means the dust when you sand will have chemical
stripper in it when you breathe.

The black marks look like long term water damage whuich will be deep. Wood
bleaches unlikely to work IMHO. They may lighten it, but it's gonna come
back. Those can go quite deep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suppose I could try wood bleach, carefully placed. I would think
sanding would have to be deep to do much. I suppose some lightening of
the stain is better than nothing- maybe the trick is to use a much
darker finish, which would be acceptable.

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:18:15 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"frank1492" wrote

As you can see, it's pretty nasty:
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...F4160Small.jpg

Yup, same pic. Thats a sanding job if it's not veneer and it looks like it
isnt. You'd be able to tell best on that. I wouldnt bother to chemically
strip first. That just means the dust when you sand will have chemical
stripper in it when you breathe.

The black marks look like long term water damage whuich will be deep. Wood
bleaches unlikely to work IMHO. They may lighten it, but it's gonna come
back. Those can go quite deep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
I suppose I could try wood bleach, carefully placed. I would think
sanding would have to be deep to do much. I suppose some lightening of
the stain is better than nothing- maybe the trick is to use a much
darker finish, which would be acceptable.

That would work. Or paint. Or veneer.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
As you can see, it's pretty nasty:
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...F4160Small.jpg

The grain pattern suggests to me that your table is veneer. A closer
photo of the edge would be conclusive, probably. The darkest part of
the stain, if from water, might fade with bleach. It certainly looks
like it is worth trying to salvage, even if the stain can't be removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"frank1492" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

As you can see, it's pretty nasty:
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...F4160Small.jpg

Yup, same pic. Thats a sanding job if it's not veneer and it looks like
it
isnt. You'd be able to tell best on that. I wouldnt bother to chemically
strip first. That just means the dust when you sand will have chemical
stripper in it when you breathe.

The black marks look like long term water damage whuich will be deep.
Wood
bleaches unlikely to work IMHO. They may lighten it, but it's gonna come
back. Those can go quite deep.

I suppose I could try wood bleach, carefully placed. I would think
sanding would have to be deep to do much. I suppose some lightening of
the stain is better than nothing- maybe the trick is to use a much
darker finish, which would be acceptable.

Yup, you'll see that in the other thread. I tend to read and answer, then
move to the next message so that part ended up in the other thread. 'Order
of...'

You are sure the part that still looks 'polished' a bit isnt a veneer? It
should be fairly obvious to the touch so I've assumed not. If it is, let me
know as I've worked with pieces like that one where 'apparently' (from the
pic) part of the veneer was already gone.

Normally veneer is applied to pressboard and the lighter colored but damaged
portions of the table do not look from the pic to be pressboard. That means
it's a wood that can be refinished.

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
As you can see, it's pretty nasty:
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...F4160Small.jpg

Looks tricky to me. Bleach then sanding. You'll never stay sanding
100% with the grain so I'd suggest an RA "random orbit" sander. Be
careful not to sand through the veneer.

Something was said about it not being veneer, it sure looks like veneer
to me. If the same pattern is on the bottom then it *may* be solid.
The thing is now the way they stamp and stain wood to make it look real
is getting better all the time and some people can't tell the diference.
When they stamp the fake grain onto the wood, they often stamp the
bottom too to match! They even stamp it hard enough to purpously make
slight ridges between two fake pieces of veneer so you can feel what
seems like an imperfect veneer/solid wood joint, but it's just stamped
in. I don't think your piece is stamped, based on the way the water
stains meet each other and react differently with the different veneers.

If it's stamped, you will know as soon as you start to sand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi-
It wasn't veneer and it now has the first coat of stain. Actually I
ended up using oxalic acid to bleach out the water marks and they came
out pretty good. Will do a second coat of stain before the poly.
It won't be perfect- maybe I'll send an "after" pic, but then again
the guy who was going to charge me $250 said it probably wouldn't come
out perfect either!
Thanks for your comments, and again a sincere thanks to all the
others who offered assistance. Will try to remember to post a pic
soon.
Frank

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:07:39 -0500, Tony
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
Hi-
It wasn't veneer and it now has the first coat of stain. Actually I
ended up using oxalic acid to bleach out the water marks and they came
out pretty good. Will do a second coat of stain before the poly.
It won't be perfect- maybe I'll send an "after" pic, but then again
the guy who was going to charge me $250 said it probably wouldn't come
out perfect either!
Thanks for your comments, and again a sincere thanks to all the
others who offered assistance. Will try to remember to post a pic
soon.
Frank

If that table is not veneer, it is probably well worth the $250 (for
wealthy, non-adventuresome types) to refinish. I would like to see the
final pix, and pix of the base. Pedestal base?

I would not have expected "perfect" outcome )