Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breaker Shutting off

In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off..
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

Thank ya
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2009 6:53 PM Jack Valance spake thus:

In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off..
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

How about--the microwave? You didn't say you ever experienced the
breaker tripping when you use the microwave.

Could be a lot of other things, too. We need more information.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack Valance" wrote in message m...
In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off..
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

Thank ya

Usually breakers trip when things are being used. I would search around to see if anything else is on that circuit, like a sump pump, or outside outlets
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2009 7:08 PM RBM spake thus:

"Jack Valance" wrote in
message m...
In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off..
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

Thank ya

Usually breakers trip when things are being used. I would search
around to see if anything else is on that circuit, like a sump pump,
or outside outlets

Please don't post in HTML.

Thanks.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

In my kitchen every few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off.
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

*An overload. A loose connection. A problem in the microwave or clock. A bad circuit breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 6:05*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
In my kitchen every few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off.
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
*What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

*An overload. A loose connection. A problem in the microwave or clock. A bad circuit breaker.

Switch the circuit with another circuit by swapping wires at the
breaker box. If the breaker is bad, it will go off on the new load,
If the load is bad it will trip the different circuit breaker. Use
logic!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cutler Hammer and square D single pole breakers about five
bucks at the store. Replace breaker, and see if the problem
continues.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

Switch the circuit with another circuit by swapping wires at
the
breaker box. If the breaker is bad, it will go off on the
new load,
If the load is bad it will trip the different circuit
breaker. Use
logic!

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
In my kitchen every few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off.
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

*An overload. A loose connection. A problem in the microwave or clock. A
bad circuit breaker.

How does a "loose connection" cause a breaker to trip?

Only reason I could think of is if it's at the breaker's output terminal
it might heat up enough under the microwave's load to influence a
thermal breaker and make it trip.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack Valance wrote:

In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off..
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.

Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??

Thank ya

Perchance is it a GFCI breaker? If it is, maybe you've got some leakage
to ground somewhere which is causing it to trip. Perhaps only when the
weathe is very wet?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In my kitchen every few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off.
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.
Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??
*An overload. A loose connection. A problem in the microwave or clock. A
bad circuit breaker.

How does a "loose connection" cause a breaker to trip?

*A loose connection on the breaker terminal or on the buss connection will
generate enough heat to trip the breaker.

Only reason I could think of is if it's at the breaker's output terminal
it might heat up enough under the microwave's load to influence a thermal
breaker and make it trip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
In my kitchen every few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off.
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.
Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??
*An overload. A loose connection. A problem in the microwave or
clock. A bad circuit breaker.

How does a "loose connection" cause a breaker to trip?

*A loose connection on the breaker terminal or on the buss connection
will generate enough heat to trip the breaker.

Only reason I could think of is if it's at the breaker's output
terminal it might heat up enough under the microwave's load to
influence a thermal breaker and make it trip.

Thanks for confirming that my thinking was correct.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 11/9/2009 7:08 PM RBM spake thus:

"Jack Valance" wrote in
message m...
In my kitchen ever few days the Clock and the microwave cuts off..
I go to the breaker box and the breaker for these has tripped.
Nothing else is going on in the house or added?
Think it is just that breaker need replacing or what???
What might be causing that 1 breaker to trip??
Thank ya
Usually breakers trip when things are being used. I would search
around to see if anything else is on that circuit, like a sump pump,
or outside outlets

Please don't post in HTML.

Thanks.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet

The clock and microwave both are 'load' on the circuit that could have an
issue that might cause the breaker to trip unexpectedly. I'd guess it is
probably the micro, but the clock is probably the easiest thing to eliminate
to see of the problem goes away. If it doesn't than it is likely the
microwave (assuming you are correct that these are the only 2 devices on the
circuit. Try unplugging it and see if the problem goes away. If it
still exists it is either something else on the line, or the line itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:03:16 -0500, "Mark" wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Nobody has said what brand and how old the breaker is. I'd replace it
FIRST.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nobody has said what brand and how old the breaker is. I'd replace it
FIRST.

I has been in the box for 14 years..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:59:06 -0600, "Jack Valance"
wrote:

Nobody has said what brand and how old the breaker is. I'd replace it
FIRST.

I has been in the box for 14 years..

Then DEFINItELY replace it, particularlu if it is an FPE

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does YOU suffer from lack of sunshine?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jack Valance" wrote in message
m...

Nobody has said what brand and how old the breaker is. I'd
replace it
FIRST.

I has been in the box for 14 years..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt you can get FPE breakers any more. I've heard of
aftermarket copies, but very expensive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus