Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Adding another coat of polyurethane to a nice hardwood floor

I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above average
condition. I'd like to apply another coat. There are a handful of areas I
need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some filler and sanding those
areas down, would there be anything else to do besides cleaning out dust and
adding another coat. Can an additional coat or two be applied to an entire
floor over the existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be sanded
down?

Overall, I'd like to add another coat or two to keep the floors in a
position so they don't need to be professionally done, yet I don't want to
mess them up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 12:50*am, "joe" wrote:
I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above average
condition. I'd like to apply another coat. *There are a handful of areas I
need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some filler and sanding those
areas down, would there be anything else to do besides cleaning out dust and
adding another coat. Can an additional coat or two be applied to an entire
floor over the existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be sanded
down?

No, you can't just simply add another coat or 2, you have to sand it
down first, then sand between coats, otherwise the polyurethane will
not get absorbed by the wood and just sit there and form ripples or
puddles. Do it right, get a pro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 11:50*pm, "joe" wrote:
I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above average
condition. I'd like to apply another coat. *There are a handful of areas I
need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some filler and sanding those
areas down, would there be anything else to do besides cleaning out dust and
adding another coat. Can an additional coat or two be applied to an entire
floor over the existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be sanded
down?

Overall, I'd like to add another coat or two to keep the floors in a
position so they don't need to be professionally done, yet I don't want to
mess them up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

If you have used any wax or cleaner polishes with synthetic chemicals
to give it a shine then any new coat may fail, you know what has been
used over the years otherwise a light scuffing is all thats needed. I
would clean it real good and rent a floor buffer and use a fine pad
equal to 2-300 grit, wipe dust with a damp rag and recoat. A buffer
and pad might be 50-75$ to rent
Posted to alt.home.repair

"joe" wrote in message
I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above average
condition. I'd like to apply another coat. There are a handful of areas I
need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some filler and sanding those
areas down, would there be anything else to do besides cleaning out dust
and adding another coat. Can an additional coat or two be applied to an
entire floor over the existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be
sanded down?

Overall, I'd like to add another coat or two to keep the floors in a
position so they don't need to be professionally done, yet I don't want to
mess them up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

All the pros I have watched have used a heavy buffer with a screen pad
between coats. After five years I would imagine it is more than required.

I did a touch up application where some idiots spray painted a bed while it
was setting on my floors that turned out good enough.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

Read the product label.

No sense of adventure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
:

On Nov 7, 11:50*pm, "joe" wrote:
[...]

Good point! If like paste wax was buffed in at some point and all it got
was a light sanding, I bet it WOULD fail.

you know what has been
used over the years otherwise a light scuffing is all thats needed. I
would clean it real good and rent a floor buffer and use a fine pad
equal to 2-300 grit, wipe dust with a damp rag and recoat. A buffer
and pad might be 50-75$ to rent

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

thanks for the feedback, definitely beyond my skill set!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:50:29 -0800, "joe" wrote:

I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above average
condition. I'd like to apply another coat. There are a handful of areas I
need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some filler and sanding those
areas down, would there be anything else to do besides cleaning out dust and
adding another coat. Can an additional coat or two be applied to an entire
floor over the existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be sanded
down?

Overall, I'd like to add another coat or two to keep the floors in a
position so they don't need to be professionally done, yet I don't want to
mess them up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

It's all about preparation. Clean with household ammonia. Make
repairs. Lightly sand the entire surface, vacuum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:50:29 -0800, "joe" wrote:

I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above
average condition. I'd like to apply another coat. There are a
handful of areas I need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some
filler and sanding those areas down, would there be anything else to
do besides cleaning out dust and adding another coat. Can an
additional coat or two be applied to an entire floor over the
existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be sanded down?

Overall, I'd like to add another coat or two to keep the floors in a
position so they don't need to be professionally done, yet I don't
want to mess them up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

It's all about preparation. Clean with household ammonia. Make
repairs. Lightly sand the entire surface, vacuum.

Good ideas. I'd damp mop too, to pick up the really fine stuff the vacuum
expelled. Maybe a wipe-down with gum arabic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 10:23*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Good ideas. I'd damp mop too, to pick up the really fine stuff the vacuum
expelled. Maybe a wipe-down with gum arabic.

Yeah, sure you would. A tack cloth - shellac soaked cheesecloth - is
the standard, but you already knew that.