Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Adding another coat of polyurethane to a nice hardwood floor

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:50:29 -0800, "joe" wrote:

I had my floors redone about 5 years ago. The floors look in above
average condition. I'd like to apply another coat. There are a
handful of areas I need a little wood filler. Outside of adding some
filler and sanding those areas down, would there be anything else to
do besides cleaning out dust and adding another coat. Can an
additional coat or two be applied to an entire floor over the
existing coats, or does the whole thing need to be sanded down?

Overall, I'd like to add another coat or two to keep the floors in a
position so they don't need to be professionally done, yet I don't
want to mess them up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

It's all about preparation. Clean with household ammonia. Make
repairs. Lightly sand the entire surface, vacuum.

Good ideas. I'd damp mop too, to pick up the really fine stuff the vacuum
expelled. Maybe a wipe-down with gum arabic.