Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Render DVDs Unusable?

aemeijers wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.
Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

I'd bet *on* the NSA or other similarly equipped groups being able to
get data off of your CD/DVD confetti. Granted the data at the cut points
is unlikely to be recoverable, but given the data density of the media,
each piece of confetti would probably yield a sizable amount of data in
their hands. If you need true security, you need to totally destroy the
data layer, probably via chemical treatment of the confetti bits, or
incineration of the remains.

Sandblasting or grinding of the data side works well. Once the layer
with the pits is dust, ain't nothing gonna put it back together.

Yes, I believe that's pretty much what they do with hard drive platters
that contain classified data - Grind the mag layer off then shred the
substrate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

If that is the method, then coarse sand paper or memery stone is easier.

A memery stone? Is that some kind of newfangled hybrid word?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:21:36 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:54:52 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Dunno about the discs but the 'drill a hole" is the recommended method
for destroying hard drives.

The NIST link above (gleaned) "Optical mass storage media, including
compact disks (CD, CD-RW, CD-R, CD-ROM), optical disks (DVD), and
magneto-optic (MO) disks must be destroyed by pulverizing,"

Some government agencies require "old/dead hard drives" be sent to
"central office" for degaussing, before destruction.

Me! I think of Thermite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjLgzgflCk8

Seems to be a good way of getting rid of a lot of useless crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Dunno about the discs but the 'drill a hole" is the recommended method
for destroying hard drives.

The NIST link above (gleaned) "Optical mass storage media, including
compact disks (CD, CD-RW, CD-R, CD-ROM), optical disks (DVD), and
magneto-optic (MO) disks must be destroyed by pulverizing,"

Some government agencies require "old/dead hard drives" be sent to
"central office" for degaussing, before destruction.

Me! I think of Thermite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjLgzgflCk8

Seems to be a good way of getting rid of a lot of useless crap.

A little more on thermite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPAYZMzGMwQ&NR=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Mark" wrote:

[...]

Nah- they degauss the whole thing with an electromagnet that would make
a scrap yard jealous, and then throw the whole damn thing in a chipper
mill. No, I'm not joking. Yes, I do work for them.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:23:31 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Mark" wrote:

[...]

No marker or shredder required, just put thumb on one edge, fingers
on the other and squeeze. It will bend like a taco, and then "explode"
into a hundred shards., and split into 2 separate layers with the
"aluminum foil" layer flying in the wind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Target practice , pellet gun , bow & arrow or BF SHOT GUN
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Mark" wrote:

[...]

I expect it varies with the classification level of the data. The grind
and shred routine is / was indeed used on some HDD media that contained
classified data.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closure on "Render DVDs Unusable?"

Yes, by piecing together the chips of DVD the guys left
behind. Like popcorn, in Hansel and Gretel.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Should have made the dumps on two different days. Now the
NSA is busy rebuilding your data. I'm telling yah, those
NSA guys are really good.

Are those the guys that tracked Redford and Newman across
solid rock?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just remember to do the label side. *That's where the data lives.-

that is true for a CD, but for DVDs the data lives inside between the
two layers of plastic...

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, against all advice, something
compelled "CWLee" , to say:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.

Give them about ten seconds in a microwave oven. Maybe not even
that long.

--

Howdya like that... we started playing guitar to impress the chicks and wind
up talkin' fingernails with old men.

Ray Boyce - 9.27.09
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:00:14 -0800, Steve Daniels wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, against all advice, something
compelled "CWLee" , to say:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.

Give them about ten seconds in a microwave oven. Maybe not even
that long.

Then buy a new tray for your microwave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, "CWLee"
wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,
cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard
that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them
does the trick, but that is just a rumor
to me. What about placing them, one at
a time, in a vice, half clamped tight
and the other half then struck hard with
a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports
appreciated.

A disc shredder does the job quick. If you choose to shatter them
with a hammer wear eye protection. A propane torch will melt them,
but may produce toxic fumes if you allow them to burn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You buy and detonate a 1 kiloton nuke bomb, with the discs under the
bomb.

then while your cleaning up the nuke waste contamination, pick up
whats left of the discs, encase in concrete and send to a nuke waste
repository, like cheyenne mountain.

somewhere in the next million years the mountain will be breached, the
nuke waste released will kill everyone in the area, then the
yellowstone old faithful volcanoe will erupt blowing whats left of
your discs on a trip to mars......

archeaologists there will unerath them in 2 million years..........

by then no one will have a cd reader.so your data may be secure

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:45:57 -0800, "CWLee"
wrote:

As the OP I'd like to thank all you guys
for the suggestions, serious and
otherwise. I took a pair of snips from
my garage and cut all the DVDs in half.
One half of each of them was then
deposited into a smelly and moist
dumpster behind a seafood restaurant,
and the other half were placed in the
trash bin at a Walmart about 20 miles
away. Task completed. Thanks again.

Not at all within government specs. You have failed CIA procedures.