Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Render DVDs Unusable?

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,
cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard
that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them
does the trick, but that is just a rumor
to me. What about placing them, one at
a time, in a vice, half clamped tight
and the other half then struck hard with
a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports
appreciated.

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What about
placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the other
half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

Hi,
Shredding is easy. Or cut it into couple pieces with scissors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What about
placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the other
half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

--
----------
CWLee
Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
promote for performance, not preferences.

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD. Remember that CDs aren't like old records, they are
recorded from the inside out, so be sure to mark over the center area of the
CD. scratching with a nail of knife would add an extra level of security..

With my new shredder, I still scribble on them before shredding - paranoid
maybe, but rather be sure I don't lose my personal data!

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What
about placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the
other half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

I wrap CD's in heavy duty foil, put in oven for about 15 min at 425.
Take em out, mash up the mess and put in garbage when cool. None have
burned or given off smoke )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"CWLee" wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,
cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard
that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them
does the trick, but that is just a rumor
to me. What about placing them, one at
a time, in a vice, half clamped tight
and the other half then struck hard with
a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports
appreciated.

If you need a vise and a hammer to break a DVD in half, you might want
to get your ass to the gym.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What
about placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the
other half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

Microwave oven. Try it, you'll like the light show.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2009 5:06 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I
want to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here
recommend a quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that
drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them does the trick, but that is just
a rumor to me. What about placing them, one at a time, in a vice,
half clamped tight and the other half then struck hard with a
hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

Microwave oven. Try it, you'll like the light show.

I was going to suggest that. Try one first. It really gives some kewl
visual effects. (Google for it; for some reason, there are *hundreds* of
web pages out there dealing with the subject of nuking CDs.)

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you want discourage the average thief or a determined one? If the
former, a shredder is quick and easy. If the latter, the microwave or
the BBQ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What
about placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the
other half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

For yourself, or for a client? If there is HIPPA info on them, your
client's insurance company/lawyers may prefer you take them to a
commercial destruction facility, so they have a report in the file if
they get audited. But if it is your own stuff, a metal container and
acetone or even gasoline, should work fine. Production destruction of
DVDs, with audit trail, is done by disk duplicator from hell. It has a
cutting head, and shaves down the metallized side, but leaves the s/n of
disk on the hub legible, so it can be logged as destroyed, by 2 people.
Costs a whole lot of money, but works very fast on a couple hundred
disks per hopper load. I wouldn't run them through a consumer-grade
shredder. Sure, it'll do a few, but it is a hell of a stress on the
teeth. If you only have a few, get out the tin snips, but wear gloves
and goggles. Those shards are sharp.

Me, I just scratch them and snap them. But then again, the stuff I throw
out, every 5 years or so, isn't likely to interest people who can
reconstruct quarter-circle sections of the data tracks with a laser
scanner and reassemble the whole pile into meaningful data.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 5:57*pm, "CWLee" wrote:
[...]

Stick them in a microwave, its fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,

3 seconds on high in a microwave oven.

Put a disposable cup under the dvd to avoid any mess from melting
plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Hu,
If that is the method, then coarse sand paper or memery stone is easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I take a pair of bandage shears (or compound action tin
snips). Cut at radius to the disk, take about 1/3 of the
disk out. Throw out the 1/3 of the disk in this weeks trash.
Throw 1/3 in next week's trash. Throw the other third in the
trashbin when you stop to gas up, next time.

Only an Act of God will then recover the data.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 6:57*pm, "CWLee" wrote:
[...]

Stupid uwave tricks can be a lot of fun

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.

Chop them up like an old credit card, those EMT shears do a good job. If
the data is really sensitive then make the pieces small and divide them
between several trash containers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At different buildings, and sent out on different days.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message
news
Chop them up like an old credit card, those EMT shears do a
good job. If
the data is really sensitive then make the pieces small and
divide them
between several trash containers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:17:47 -0600, Mike Paulsen
wrote:

[snip]

Easiest way is to write "AOL Free Trial" on the disk and toss it in the
garbage. Nobody is going to touch it.

I used to get a lot of those. I'd cut it with a wire cutter and label
the place "consumer protection notch".

Beyond that, anything even mildly destructive is probably good enough.
(Break it in half, drill some holes, go at it with the torch or 80 grit,
etc. Just for reference, the NIST recommendations:
http://www.d3services.com/images/PDF...00-88_rev1.pdf

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,
cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard
that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them
does the trick, but that is just a rumor
to me. What about placing them, one at
a time, in a vice, half clamped tight
and the other half then struck hard with
a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports
appreciated.

--

All the methods posted work. You can also run them through a decent quality
shredder.

My shredder cost less than $50 and makes nice plastic confetti out of them.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,
cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard
that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them
does the trick, but that is just a rumor
to me. What about placing them, one at
a time, in a vice, half clamped tight
and the other half then struck hard with
a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports
appreciated.

With all due respect to everyone, why does anyone think he is important
enough that someone else would go out of their away to retrieve his data
from dvd's that have not been mutilated enough? It's not going to happen.

--
"Sects, sects, sects! That's all you religion majors ever think about."
-- Garth Snyder

11/8/2009 11:01:44 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 22:53:10 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[snip]

Only an Act of God will then recover the data.

[snip]

P[R] = P[A] * SQR(-2.3) / C

C = e - .999999999

P[A] = R[G] * N

N = pi * SQR(-1)

R[G] = SQR(C * -1) * K

K = SQR(-2) * (C * (1 / C) - 1)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:30:54 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
Mark wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Just remember to do the label side. That's where the data lives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

"CWLee" wrote in message
news:Qa6dndDXmrr9lGvXnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@earthlink. com...

[...]

Just remember to do the label side. *That's where the data lives.- Hide quoted text -

It lives under a couple layers of protection also. I don't think
scribblign on it does a thing.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 3:57*pm, "CWLee" wrote:
[...]

Dunno about the discs but the 'drill a hole" is the recommended method
for destroying hard drives.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
At different buildings, and sent out on different days.

Are EMT shears any different for electrician/LAN/phone guy shears? Do
yours have the little notch for cutting/stripping wire?
The belt holsters look the same, and just watching them in use, I can't
see any difference.
--
aem sends, actually curious
Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What
about placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the
other half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

Bend them with your hand until they splinter into a thousand pieces, or
put them in a microwave for about 4 seconds each. Or do both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:54:52 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Dunno about the discs but the 'drill a hole" is the recommended method
for destroying hard drives.

The NIST link above (gleaned) "Optical mass storage media, including
compact disks (CD, CD-RW, CD-R, CD-ROM), optical disks (DVD), and
magneto-optic (MO) disks must be destroyed by pulverizing,"

Some government agencies require "old/dead hard drives" be sent to
"central office" for degaussing, before destruction.

Me! I think of Thermite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjLgzgflCk8

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 17:41:58 -0600, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

Heck my shredder has slot just for disk media - even cross-cuts :-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

Douglas Johnson wrote:

"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

I'd bet *on* the NSA or other similarly equipped groups being able to
get data off of your CD/DVD confetti. Granted the data at the cut points
is unlikely to be recoverable, but given the data density of the media,
each piece of confetti would probably yield a sizable amount of data in
their hands. If you need true security, you need to totally destroy the
data layer, probably via chemical treatment of the confetti bits, or
incineration of the remains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:10:16 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Douglas Johnson wrote:

"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

I'd bet *on* the NSA or other similarly equipped groups being able to
get data off of your CD/DVD confetti. Granted the data at the cut points
is unlikely to be recoverable, but given the data density of the media,
each piece of confetti would probably yield a sizable amount of data in
their hands. If you need true security, you need to totally destroy the
data layer, probably via chemical treatment of the confetti bits, or
incineration of the remains.

Agree. First they need the "confetti".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

I'd bet *on* the NSA or other similarly equipped groups being able to
get data off of your CD/DVD confetti. Granted the data at the cut points
is unlikely to be recoverable, but given the data density of the media,
each piece of confetti would probably yield a sizable amount of data in
their hands. If you need true security, you need to totally destroy the
data layer, probably via chemical treatment of the confetti bits, or
incineration of the remains.

Sandblasting or grinding of the data side works well. Once the layer
with the pits is dust, ain't nothing gonna put it back together.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Douglas Johnson wrote:

"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

I'd bet *on* the NSA or other similarly equipped groups being able to
get data off of your CD/DVD confetti. Granted the data at the cut points
is unlikely to be recoverable, but given the data density of the media,
each piece of confetti would probably yield a sizable amount of data in
their hands. If you need true security, you need to totally destroy the
data layer, probably via chemical treatment of the confetti bits, or
incineration of the remains.

Agree. First they need the "confetti".

My crosscut shredder's output gets mixed into 2 bags, and some of it
gets thrown in with the kitchen garbage each week. You'd have to not
only be willing to paw through our raw chicken guts, but do so for
several weeks in a row to get most of a given document or disc. If
you're that interested, have at it, I say...

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closure on "Render DVDs Unusable?"

As the OP I'd like to thank all you guys
for the suggestions, serious and
otherwise. I took a pair of snips from
my garage and cut all the DVDs in half.
One half of each of them was then
deposited into a smelly and moist
dumpster behind a seafood restaurant,
and the other half were placed in the
trash bin at a Walmart about 20 miles
away. Task completed. Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 2:45*am, "CWLee" wrote:
As the OP I'd like to thank all you guys
for the suggestions, serious and
otherwise. *I took a pair of snips from
my garage and cut all the DVDs in half.
One half of each of them was then
deposited into a smelly and moist
dumpster behind a seafood restaurant,
and the other half were placed in the
trash bin at a Walmart about 20 miles
away. *Task completed. *Thanks again.

They burn too have been told! I think there was an old CD/DVD in a bag
of paper/cardboard scrap used recently to light the wood stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:45:57 -0800, "CWLee"
wrote:

As the OP I'd like to thank all you guys
for the suggestions, serious and
otherwise. I took a pair of snips from
my garage and cut all the DVDs in half.
One half of each of them was then
deposited into a smelly and moist
dumpster behind a seafood restaurant,
and the other half were placed in the
trash bin at a Walmart about 20 miles
away. Task completed. Thanks again.

Now that you have revealed where they are, you need to go retrieve
them and put them elsewhere. Loose lips...

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

As the OP I'd like to thank all you guys for the suggestions, serious
and otherwise. I took a pair of snips from my garage and cut all the
DVDs in half. One half of each of them was then deposited into a smelly
and moist dumpster behind a seafood restaurant, and the other half were
placed in the trash bin at a Walmart about 20 miles away. Task
completed. Thanks again.

LOL........did you make sure you weren't being followed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:
I have a number of DVDs containing
computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away
the older ones, but first I want to
render the data on them irretrievable.
Can anyone here recommend a quick,
cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard
that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them
does the trick, but that is just a rumor
to me. What about placing them, one at
a time, in a vice, half clamped tight
and the other half then struck hard with
a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports
appreciated.

Just about any physical disruption (i.e., just a scratch) will render the CD
unintelligible to even the most determined data thief.

As for the NSA and such deciphering that which is on an even more ambitious
destruction path, why bother? The government can simply demand that you tell
them what was on the media you went to extraordinary lengths to destroy.

Oh yes they can... oh yes you will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should have made the dumps on two different days. Now the
NSA is busy rebuilding your data. I'm telling yah, those
NSA guys are really good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

LOL........did you make sure you weren't being followed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen LAN shears, so I have no way to know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
At different buildings, and sent out on different days.

Are EMT shears any different for electrician/LAN/phone guy
shears? Do
yours have the little notch for cutting/stripping wire?
The belt holsters look the same, and just watching them in
use, I can't
see any difference.
--
aem sends, actually curious

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Should have made the dumps on two different days. Now the
NSA is busy rebuilding your data. I'm telling yah, those
NSA guys are really good.

Are those the guys that tracked Redford and Newman across solid rock?