Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator freezer door sometimes opened .5 inch. How to "lock" closed?

Someone goes into the freezer (part of refrig), "closes"
the door, leaves the room, etc.

Too much stuff in freezer, or not correctly arranged, or
whatever -- of course door doesn't close 100%, or does
for a few minutes then pushes open a wee bit.

Maybe not noticed until next morning (by me!)

Obvious answer: get rid of some of the contents.

Heck, maybe all of it, or at least the meat --
since temp clearly not 0 or 5F where it should be,
not with door not sealed closed.

Yeah, nice idea. Don't buy so much frozen food, etc.

Well, let's not pursue that particular track, huh. :-)

(Parkinson's law of freezer-space obtains here in this house!)

----

(Well, maybe replace the magnets with supercondcting ones
that would hold 20 tons? 200 tons?)

Actually, I was thinking of maybe glueing (epoxying?) some kind
of failsafe lever-thing-that-snaps-down that once pushed-down
would hold door tightly shut.

(I don't even have the correct terminology for it!)

So, suggestions?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 02:20:30 -0500, David Combs wrote:

Someone goes into the freezer (part of refrig), "closes"
the door, leaves the room, etc.

Not a solution to your problem, but the fan in the freezer section of our
old unit is quite noisy (over 3 decades of bearing wear on it) - it's
actually quite useful because it's not loud enough to hear it with the
door closed, but it serves as a useful audible warning when someone's not
got the door quite shut properly.

Maybe manufacturers should deliberately make freezer section fans loud :-)

Actually, I was thinking of maybe glueing (epoxying?) some kind of
failsafe lever-thing-that-snaps-down that once pushed-down would hold
door tightly shut.

Maybe some form of child lock that you can put on cupboards to stop tiny
kids from getting into them - they're typically a plastic thing that has
to be pulled to one side to release.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 2:20*am, (David Combs) wrote:

So, suggestions?

The door seal is shot. Replace it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 10:44*am, Jules
wrote:
[...]

In fact, latches specifically designed for fridge and freezer doors
are common; look in the babyproofing section of any hardware store.
For example: http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item...?blnSearch=yes

They usually need to be manually latched when the door closes, so
aren't a solution for homes where someone just can't be bothered to
use them.

Many years ago I had a new fridge that did a beep-beep thing if the
door was open more than like 2 minutes. Maybe there's an opportunity
for an entrepreneur to integrate a timer and beeper into an appliance
lightbulb? (LED of course - should be a no-brainer to eliminate a 40 W
*heater* from your freezer.) Assuming your freezer is illuminated.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chip C wrote:

Many years ago I had a new fridge that did a beep-beep thing if the
door was open more than like 2 minutes. Maybe there's an opportunity
for an entrepreneur to integrate a timer and beeper into an appliance
lightbulb? (LED of course - should be a no-brainer to eliminate a 40 W
*heater* from your freezer.) Assuming your freezer is illuminated.

Excellent idea. I've heard they make beeping bulbs to retrofit backup lights
on vehicles. When the vehicle goes in reverse, the backup light comes on and
the beeping begins.

Same idea should work for the fridge...

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Ahh.. but we must, but not as a solution for your door problem -
although it might also solve that problem...

A totally packed freezer is less efficient than one with some room.
There needs to be some room for air circulation for the defrost cycle
to properly so it's job.

When I bought my freezer I was told by the dealer that it runs most
efficiently at about 3/4 full.

So if you "don't buy so much frozen food" not only will the door stay
closed (assuming that's the problem) but your fereezer will more
efficient.

P.S. The unit should be tilted backward just enough so that the door
closes by itself if the user walks away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

Uh, get some new family members or roommates that aren't retarded?
Closing the refrigerator/freezer door when you're done in there is like
zipping up your pants when you're done in the bathroom. You gonna put an
idiot-proof warning horn and automatic closing mechanism on that, too?
Using technology to overcome stupidity is idiotic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

Just be sure the front of the box is higher than the back and gravity
should do it.

BTW Another word for "retards" is often "teenagers"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:20*am, (David Combs) wrote:

So, suggestions?

The door seal is shot. Replace it.

What evidence of that?

Does a door-seal contain the magnet?

Better yet, does a non-original-equipment door seal contain
some much STRONGER magnet? Which will help keep the door
closed -- in fact, will help first CLOSING the door, and
tighter, too?

Actually, would the (expensive) magnet be in the flexible
door seal? Or rather in the door itself?

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

Ahh.. but we must, but not as a solution for your door problem -
although it might also solve that problem...

A totally packed freezer is less efficient than one with some room.
There needs to be some room for air circulation for the defrost cycle
to properly so it's job.

When I bought my freezer I was told by the dealer that it runs most
efficiently at about 3/4 full.

So if you "don't buy so much frozen food" not only will the door stay
closed (assuming that's the problem) but your fereezer will more
efficient.

P.S. The unit should be tilted backward just enough so that the door
closes by itself if the user walks away.

Thanks for that! At long last I now have a believable/understandable/
convincing-even-to-she-who-believes-nothing-I-say reason to pass on!
THANKS AGAIN!

David

*reason* to not fill the freezer!