Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water usage

Hi,
Our condo association has a Fleck 9500 twin tank water softener that
is being used in the water supply for our eleven condo units. It has
1.5" input and output connections. Recently, I began to wonder how
much water we use in a given month. Since the water is supplied by 2
water wells on the property, there is no water meter to read. However,
the Fleck has a meter that controls when it is time to recharge. The
meter has no face but instead turns a cable that turns the gears
inside the softener control. I added a magnet to the meter shaft and
a small reed switch nearby such that I can remotely tell when the
meter output shaft has completed one full revolution. My question is
how many gallons does one full revolution equal? The manual says
nothing about that. I have searched on the internet, but haven't
found an answer. If I watch the dial inside the softener cover, it
seems to move around 1600 gallons per revolution. I did some more
googling and found some Fleck equipment specs mention 1550 as a
minimum number of gallons between recharging for some of their
softeners. Could that be the number of gallons coresponding to one
revolution of the meter? Can any of you familiar with these things
confirm that?

Thanks,
Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 5:11�pm, wrote:
[...]

Use enough water to get shaft to revolve once?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 08:51:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Oct 31, 5:11?pm, wrote:
[...]

That sounds easy, but we are talking 1500 or 1600 gallons of water. I
would need to fill a gallon bucket 1500 times and dump it down the
drain. And, no one else could use water while I was doing it.
Somebody must know how these things work. ...Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
That sounds easy, but we are talking 1500 or 1600 gallons of water. I
would need to fill a gallon bucket 1500 times and dump it down the
drain. And, no one else could use water while I was doing it.
Somebody must know how these things work. ...Pat

Watch for a half revolution and you only have to fill 800 times.

Is this a curiosity thing or do you need to monitor water use? You can buy
a meter for a couple hundred bucks and be accurate if it is something the
association can use for something.