Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need ideas (electrical)

I just built a pole barn (36 x 48). I put clear panels on one side 2
feet from the eave to allow light in during the daytime hours. This
seems to work great. I will use this mostly for storage of my RV, lawn
mower and etc. But what if I want to work on my RV inside at night?

Running an electric line is too costly. I want to be able to use my
generator for the rare occasions. I want to be able to plug my
generator into an outside outlet and have it feed an outlet, or 4, and
a couple lights. I don't want to run a wire under or thru a door/
window.

How would you do it?

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

I just built a pole barn (36 x 48).

[should be a separate 'gloat' post] You suck.

I put clear panels on one side 2
feet from the eave to allow light in during the daytime hours. This
seems to work great. I will use this mostly for storage of my RV, lawn
mower and etc. But what if I want to work on my RV inside at night?

Running an electric line is too costly. I want to be able to use my
generator for the rare occasions. I want to be able to plug my
generator into an outside outlet and have it feed an outlet, or 4, and
a couple lights. I don't want to run a wire under or thru a door/
window.

How would you do it?

I'd put something like this switch on my panel box-
http://www.interlockkit.com/

and plug my generator into this inlet;
http://www.apelectric.com/U050N-50-A...3R-p/u050n.htm
[I'm spending your money here, but I'd go with the 50amp over the 30
for $20 even if it was mine]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

[...]

Jim, he should use a 4 wire inlet. He's not feeding his service panel, just
some temp lights and outlets in an otherwise non electrified pole building

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just built a pole barn (36 x 48). I put clear panels on one side 2
feet from the eave to allow light in during the daytime hours. This
seems to work great. I will use this mostly for storage of my RV, lawn
mower and etc. But what if I want to work on my RV inside at night?

Running an electric line is too costly. I want to be able to use my
generator for the rare occasions. I want to be able to plug my
generator into an outside outlet and have it feed an outlet, or 4, and
a couple lights. I don't want to run a wire under or thru a door/
window.

How would you do it?

*Install a flanged inlet outside that feeds into a small electrical panel
inside. From the electrical panel I would run my wiring (EMT probably in
your situation) to outlets and lights. If down the road I wanted to run a
feed from the house or the power company transformer the interior wiring
would already be in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:35:01 -0400, "RBM" wrote:
-snip-
Jim, he should use a 4 wire inlet. He's not feeding his service panel, just
some temp lights and outlets in an otherwise non electrified pole building

I guess I forgot to start with my first thought. . . "Do it as though
you already have power to the barn. That way when you [or the next
guy] brings power to it, everything is ready."

I'd do it up to code with a couple 8' grounds- I might pass on the
interlock.

If this was a 10x12 garden shed I'd say 'go with an extension cord. .
.. . but it is a 36x48 pole barn fer cryin-out-loud!.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
. . but it is a 36x48 pole barn fer cryin-out-loud!.

What he said. After the investment for a barn/shed that size, why
nickel/dime in the end for something that will soon undoubtedly not suit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a good plan.

Add Jim's ground rods.

Make sure receptacles are GFCI protected.

Neutral and ground must be bonded. I assume the generator does that. The
generator ground has to come in through the inlet as RBM indicated.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 7:53�am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

*Install a flanged inlet outside that feeds into a small electrical panel
inside. �From the electrical panel I would run my wiring (EMT probably in
your situation) to outlets and lights. �If down the road I wanted to run a
feed from the house or the power company transformer the interior wiring
would already be in place.

The panel sounds like what I want to do. It seems with all the other
suggestions, that is THE way to go.

Gorunding rod.....grounding rod, where did I put that
grounding.......seriously, I already have one to install.

Hank