Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roof question

I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.
My house is 11 years old with original ceramic tile roof. I know ceramic
tiles have very long life and problem is the limited life of the underlay.
Before the tiles are ripped out I would like to know what the life of the
underlay is for the hot desert. Some have said ten years max.
How do I assess the underlay life? Should I have the underlay replaced
during the photocell install?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.
My house is 11 years old with original ceramic tile roof. I know ceramic
tiles have very long life and problem is the limited life of the underlay.
Before the tiles are ripped out I would like to know what the life of the
underlay is for the hot desert. Some have said ten years max.
How do I assess the underlay life? Should I have the underlay replaced
during the photocell install?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Why photocells? Do you need to know when the Sun is up?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.
My house is 11 years old with original ceramic tile roof. I know
ceramic tiles have very long life and problem is the limited life of
the underlay. Before the tiles are ripped out I would like to know
what the life of the underlay is for the hot desert. Some have said
ten years max. How do I assess the underlay life? Should I have the
underlay
replaced during the photocell install?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

While Phoenix is a good location for solar power, be advised you will not
generate as much energy as it took to manufacture the things in the first
place. A better environmental solution is to outlaw photovoltaic cells.

In your neighborhood, solar water heating is a plus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.
My house is 11 years old with original ceramic tile roof. I know
ceramic tiles have very long life and problem is the limited life of
the underlay. Before the tiles are ripped out I would like to know
what the life of the underlay is for the hot desert. Some have said
ten years max. How do I assess the underlay life? Should I have the
underlay
replaced during the photocell install?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

They put ceramic tiles on roofs in Phoenix?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:49:17 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.
My house is 11 years old with original ceramic tile roof. I know
ceramic tiles have very long life and problem is the limited life of
the underlay. Before the tiles are ripped out I would like to know
what the life of the underlay is for the hot desert. Some have said
ten years max. How do I assess the underlay life? Should I have the
underlay
replaced during the photocell install?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

While Phoenix is a good location for solar power, be advised you will not
generate as much energy as it took to manufacture the things in the first
place.

I can believe it. I'd quite like to see something for all these
"green" solutions - PV panels, CFLs, wind turbines (the "home sized"
stuff, not commercial) etc. analyzing the real "cost" (materials,
processing, manufacture, shipping, disposal etc.) - I suspect a lot of
them do far more harm than good.

Heatpumps seem to genuinely work, so does solar heating, so does properly
insulating buildings - but I think there's probably a lot of horsecrap
technology out there, too. Very difficult to get past the political spin
to the truth though (and to recognise the truth is when you're told it :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
I live in Phoenix AZ and I plan to install photocells on roof to help
environment.
My house is 11 years old with original ceramic tile roof. I know ceramic
tiles have very long life and problem is the limited life of the underlay.
Before the tiles are ripped out I would like to know what the life of the
underlay is for the hot desert. Some have said ten years max.
How do I assess the underlay life? Should I have the underlay replaced
during the photocell install?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

*When I worked in Southern California I saw a lot of tile roofs be installed
over hot mopped tar and paper. I inquired about the longevity of this type
of installation. I was told 50 years if the tiles are not disturbed.

I think that you should get the roof evaluated prior to the installation of
photovoltaic panels. It would be a shame to have to remove them in a few
years to replace the roof.

As others have mentioned I also question how much good to the environment
you will be doing. You certainly won't see a payback on this installation
for many years. A solar water heater makes more economic sense.

Roof question desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 8 June 5th 09 04:52 AM
Question on skylight installation plus new roof on an old roof Mikepier Home Repair 4 November 17th 08 08:16 PM
Hot mop roof question miamicuse Home Repair 4 March 28th 06 01:44 AM
new roof question Hunter Home Repair 4 January 16th 06 01:36 AM
New Roof Question twfsa Home Repair 5 June 6th 05 05:46 PM