Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof question

I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 6:38*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

Check with the manufacturer of the roof to see if either of those
materials is compatible with the roof material. If it is truly a
single ply 'rubber' roof, it can be destroyed by some materials. U.S.
Navy had several problem roofs resulting from 'patching' with
incompatible material.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 3, 5:38*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

If it's a Firestone rubber roof, the proper fix is a piece of rubber
applied with a special cement over the crack/hole. Very much like
patching an innertube. In fact the rubber looks like a big sheet of
innertube material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

Any idea who made the rubber roof? They should know what is appropriate
for coating, assuming it can be coated without destroying it. I'm no
roofer, but I don't think you put hot mop over membrane roofing. The few
cases I actually saw in person were done with something blue and
rubbery-smelling.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in news:h06u15$30ne$1
@adenine.netfront.net:

I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00

Must have some left over from a mobile home job?

I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 5:38*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

So the coating is cracked not the rubber? 500$ for silver paint is way
overpriced if you can do hot tar at 250, Hot Tar isnt needed for
rubber. If you can do real Hot Tar for 250 silver paint should be 100.
What sq ft is it, does it leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's approx. 500 s.f.
No it doesnt leak, but there are cracks.
The roofer that did it is not in business here anymore.
"ransley" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 5:38 pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

So the coating is cracked not the rubber? 500$ for silver paint is way
overpriced if you can do hot tar at 250, Hot Tar isnt needed for
rubber. If you can do real Hot Tar for 250 silver paint should be 100.
What sq ft is it, does it leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 5:38 pm, "desgnr" wrote:

I have a flat Rubber Roof.
It has some cracks & needs a coating.
1 roofer want to use a Silver coating for $500.00
I think the silver coating is a type of paint.

Roofer # 2 Wants to do a Hot Asphalt coating for $250.00
Who do i trust ?
Which is better ?

So the coating is cracked not the rubber? 500$ for silver paint is way
overpriced if you can do hot tar at 250, Hot Tar isnt needed for
rubber. If you can do real Hot Tar for 250 silver paint should be 100.
What sq ft is it, does it leak.

If coating is cracked just recoat with the silver stuff, but its about
3 hrs work, hardly worth 500. I just had a guy put the stuff on for
100 as he was doing other work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a flat Rubber Roof. It has some cracks & needs a coating.

http://www.henry.com/Cool_Roof_Coatings.28.0.html

Have a look at this webpage. Scroll down to the botttom. If you know for
sure you have a "rubber" roof, selcect EPDM/Hypalon from the drop down menu.

This will give you a list of appropriate coatings. Henry's is a reputable
company that makes good products. They can be bought in 1's or 5 gallon
pails at Home Depot/ Lowes etc in the "roofing" section. Many can be
"rolled" right onto your existing roof with a large roller (available in the
same area at HD) just like "paint", especially the white "rubber" roof
coating types. They ve been applied by tens of thousands of homeowners in
hot climates like AZ and FL.

These coatings are good for sealing "cracks".

Check with the manufacturer of the roof . If it is truly a single ply
'rubber' roof, it can be destroyed by some materials.

Try and follow this previous advice if you can find out who made the
membrane. My inlaws place had a EPDM (white rubber roof, made of 3-4 thin
layers of rubber ) membrane made by tire MFG "Firestone" on their place.
It is often used for mobile home or RV roofs.

Question on skylight installation plus new roof on an old roof Mikepier Home Repair 4 November 17th 08 08:16 PM
new roof question Hunter Home Repair 4 January 16th 06 01:36 AM
New Roof Question twfsa Home Repair 5 June 6th 05 05:46 PM
Roof Question Spanannie Home Ownership 11 April 18th 05 04:14 AM
Roof Question TomCAt Home Repair 5 January 23rd 05 04:25 AM