twfsa

Default New Roof Question

How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am curious as to how many
squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

Thanks

Tom

tom

Tom wrote: How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am
curious as to how many
squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

The area of a triangle is 1/2 of the base times the height. Add maybe
5-7% for waste? Tom

Doug Miller

In article GlFoe.65832$sy6.49998@lakeread04, "twfsa" wrote:
How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am curious as to how many
squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

Is there some reason you can't go up on the roof with a tape measure?

--
Regards,

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:
How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am curious as to how

many
squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

Is there some reason you can't go up on the roof with a tape measure?

Can usually be done from the ground--count the number of rafters along the
gutter line, these are typically set onto 16in centers.

To get your height, count how many courses of shingles there are going up to
the peak, asphalt shingles are generally nailed with a 5in tab exposure.

Area of triangle is 1/2 base X height, as has already been pointed out.

--

SVL

Olaf

wrote:
How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am curious as to how

many
squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

Is there some reason you can't go up on the roof with a tape measure?

Can usually be done from the ground--count the number of rafters along the
gutter line, these are typically set onto 16in centers.

To get your height, count how many courses of shingles there are going up

the peak, asphalt shingles are generally nailed with a 5in tab exposure.

Area of triangle is 1/2 base X height, as has already been pointed out.

--

SVL

Yeah, but what about the area of a trapeziod for the long sides?