Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Something to ask your attorney,,,,

Do you back up data?

"IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS"?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sys/1428657397.html

"To the person or anyone that knows the person that burglarized an
attorney's office downtown Friday October 16: If it is money you need,
I would be more than happy to pay to get my equipment back, or a
reward to know where it is. There are IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS on the
hard drives-you can respond or anonymize through here, or contact
crimestoppers and leave information as to where the items can be found
without leaving your name."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 12:52*am, Oren wrote:
Do you back up data?

"IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS"?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sys/1428657397.html

"To the person or anyone that knows the person that burglarized an
attorney's office downtown Friday October 16: If it is money you need,
I would be more than happy to pay to get my equipment back, or a
reward to know where it is. There are IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS on the
hard drives-you can respond or anonymize through here, or contact
crimestoppers and leave information as to where the items can be found
without leaving your name."

How stupid do you have to be to TELL THE THIEVES that they have stolen
IRREPLACEABLE documents? Why not just write them a blank check? I back
up each of two computers to the other one (in different buildings set
up for different tasks) each week, and once a month I burn/update a CD
with all the current/new "irreplaceable" stuff which is stored in a
third location. Not exactly rocket science.
Posted to alt.home.repair

tmclone wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Oren wrote:
[...]

Another trick: Google Mail allows god-knows how much storage per account
(more than 7 Gigabytes). You can ZIP up your precious data and send the
results to yourself as a gmail attachment.

It's offsite and available from anywhere.

If seven gigs isn't enough, get multiple gmail accounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:52:24 -0700, Oren wrote:

Do you back up data?

Mine's in two different countries, in case one of 'em gets nuked

(OK, so that's not by intention, but it does give a certain amount of
resilience :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:05*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
tmclone wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Oren wrote:
[...]

If seven gigs isn't enough, get multiple gmail accounts.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know if my clients would like their personal and financial
information stored on a Google-based website.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:26*am, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:52:24 -0700, Oren wrote:
Do you back up data?

Mine's in two different countries, in case one of 'em gets nuked

(OK, so that's not by intention, but it does give a certain amount of
resilience :-)

How close are these countries to each other?

I don't believe that radiation respects territorial boundaries.

I know of one company that built a disaster recovery data center in
"another country" only to learn later that both sites were on the same
fault line and that a major earthquake had to potential to knock out
both sites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
tmclone wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Oren wrote:
[...]

I have ten years of genealogy research sitting on an external hard
drive. I've had visions of the hard drive showing up in an antique shop
fifty years from now and someone saying, "Oh, I remember those things.
Wonder if it works?" Or the CD tucked away in the old family photo
album, long since replaced by several generations of more modern gadgets )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:01:27 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 20, 10:26Â*am, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:52:24 -0700, Oren wrote:
Do you back up data?

Mine's in two different countries, in case one of 'em gets nuked

(OK, so that's not by intention, but it does give a certain amount of
resilience :-)

How close are these countries to each other?

Slightly over 4000 miles... tounge-in-cheek of course because it's not
like I can be in both places at once anyway. I should really keep data in
two countries where neither of them happen to be the one that I'm living
in

I don't believe that radiation respects territorial boundaries.

Someone should really fix that. Perhaps a big lead fence a few miles high.
:-)

I know of one company that built a disaster recovery data center in
"another country" only to learn later that both sites were on the same
fault line and that a major earthquake had to potential to knock out
both sites.

Oops!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:05 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
tmclone wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Oren wrote:
[...]

I understand their concern. One alternative is a safe and burglar alarms and
other difficulties to thwart thieves. That's what the Pharaohs who built the
pyramids thought. Now the pyramids were built during the 2nd and 3rd
Egyptian dynasties (out of 30-odd). Subsequent Pharaohs saw, that while the
pyramids were massive and difficult to crack, the thieves knew where the
goodies were! These later Pharaohs learned the lesson and HID their tombs,
some of which, 2,000 years later are STILL hidden.

I suggest an encryped, compressed file, called 'cat-pictures.zip, that's an
attachment to email for would be hard to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You think that's bad? Your Federal Government built no less than 3
'emergency backup' computer centers in metro New Orleans. Not just data
caves, the whole damn server farm. I think the highest one was about 10
feet above sea level. What are ya gonna do? Give them a manual, and they
eat the covers....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Do you back up data?

"IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS"?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sys/1428657397.html

"To the person or anyone that knows the person that burglarized an
attorney's office downtown Friday October 16: If it is money you need,
I would be more than happy to pay to get my equipment back, or a
reward to know where it is. There are IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS on the
hard drives-you can respond or anonymize through here, or contact
crimestoppers and leave information as to where the items can be found
without leaving your name."

Ninety-nine percent of attorneys give the rest of them a bad name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A bunch of years ago I stood outside my burning apartment building,
thinking three things.

1. I got out (so did everybody else).

2. I have replacement cost insurance.

3. I backed up all my important files (on floppies back then) and
stored them at my parents' house-- did this every couple of weeks...

Everything other than data is just property that can be repurchased.
(by 'data' I include family photos-- back then on film but today it's
all on the PC anyway).

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:57:48 -0700 (PDT), Shaun Eli
wrote:

A bunch of years ago I stood outside my burning apartment building,
thinking three things.

1. I got out (so did everybody else).

2. I have replacement cost insurance.

3. I backed up all my important files (on floppies back then) and
stored them at my parents' house-- did this every couple of weeks...

Everything other than data is just property that can be repurchased.
(by 'data' I include family photos-- back then on film but today it's
all on the PC anyway).

Shaun Eli

Family and friends are a good place for off-site storage of a (now)
DVD/CD.. A bank with safety deposit box is another location.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:45:44 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

You think that's bad? Your Federal Government built no less than 3
'emergency backup' computer centers in metro New Orleans. Not just data
caves, the whole damn server farm. I think the highest one was about 10
feet above sea level. What are ya gonna do? Give them a manual, and they
eat the covers....

I was on the phone one day (more than a decade ago) with a "suit and
tie guy" from Washington, D. C.

ST: "All the servers will be brought to Central Office"

Me: "That is, right now about 100 servers or more and growing." Who
will manage them?"

ST: "We will."

Me: "So! I need to call you to "re-boot" the server?"

Centralization never happed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
5.247:

On Mon 19 Oct 2009 09:52:24p, Oren told us...

Do you back up data?

"IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS"?

Yes, I do. I back up my entire hard drive weekly, with daily
incremental backups, on an external Buffalo terabyte hard drive
installed in another location from where my PC is locaged. For my
purposes, it's safe enough for me.

I frequently work from home, but I'm connected to my company's servers
through a VPN connection. Most work-related data is stored on the
network drives in our secured server room, and all servers are backed
up each night.

From the very first PC I owned, I started with an internal tape backup
drive and made weekly backups.

Better safe than sorry...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sys/1428657397.html

"To the person or anyone that knows the person that burglarized an
attorney's office downtown Friday October 16: If it is money you
need, I would be more than happy to pay to get my equipment back, or
a reward to know where it is. There are IRREPLACEABLE DOCUMENTS on
the hard drives-you can respond or anonymize through here, or contact
crimestoppers and leave information as to where the items can be
found without leaving your name."

Geesh those were slow, noisey and unreliable. IIRC mine was an Iomega
QIC-40/80.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

tmclone wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:52 am, Oren wrote:
[...]

Yea I've done that with Yahoo mail. But I just picked up a 16GB thumb
drive on sale at Staples for 29 bucks. Works fine for me since I really
have no video or music. Toss in the glovebox. Good enuf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

And NYC built its emergency command center in the World Trade Building.#7
(across the street from WTC-1 & WTC-2).

Oh well.