Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing cedar trim on shed

I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just wondering
if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just
wondering
if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?

Yes. Be sure to offset them so you don't split the plank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:47:27 GMT, wrote:

I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just wondering
if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?

Unless you want big black blobs around all the nails dont use
galvanized. Use stainless steel

http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-nails

click on the "click for more information" link to see pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 11:47*am, wrote:
I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just wondering
if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?

Not really. Unless you're painting the cedar, and why would you go
with cedar in that instance?

Eventually the tannins in the cedar will eat through the zinc coating
and you'll get nasty black splotches at every nail that is exposed to
the weather. Even countersinking the nails and puttying the heads
won't stop it. There's always moisture in wood and you'll get the
black stains.

Stainless is a fairly cheap upgrade, so if you want it to look good
for a long time, spring for the extra few bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Oct 18, 11:47*am, wrote:
I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just
wonder

ing
if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?

Not really. Unless you're painting the cedar, and why would you go
with cedar in that instance?

Eventually the tannins in the cedar will eat through the zinc coating
and you'll get nasty black splotches at every nail that is exposed to
the weather. Even countersinking the nails and puttying the heads
won't stop it. There's always moisture in wood and you'll get the
black stains.

Stainless is a fairly cheap upgrade, so if you want it to look good
for a long time, spring for the extra few bucks.

Didn't know that about galv nails and cedar. Can you think of other
lumber that shouldn't have galv nails?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 7:25*pm, Red Green wrote:
RicodJour wrote :

On Oct 18, 11:47*am, wrote:
[...]

redwood and pretty much any exterior painted wood

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 10:25*pm, Red Green wrote:
RicodJour wrote :

On Oct 18, 11:47*am, wrote:
I am putting up some trim on shed project. this is 1x4 cedar. just
wonder

ing
if regular hot-dip galvanized nails ok for this purpose?

Not really. *Unless you're painting the cedar, and why would you go
with cedar in that instance?

Eventually the tannins in the cedar will eat through the zinc coating
and you'll get nasty black splotches at every nail that is exposed to
the weather. *Even countersinking the nails and puttying the heads
won't stop it. *There's always moisture in wood and you'll get the
black stains.

Stainless is a fairly cheap upgrade, so if you want it to look good
for a long time, spring for the extra few bucks.

Didn't know that about galv nails and cedar. Can you think of other
lumber that shouldn't have galv nails?

Cedar and redwood are about the worst, but oak also has a lot of
tannins and will stain. The kicker is that some of the wood
organizations still say you can use hot dipped galvanized nails. I
have no idea why they are maintaining that position. Hot dipped
galvanized is far better than electroplated, but a zinc coating is a
sacrificial coating - it doesn't last forever. The tannins in cedar
and redwood eat the galvanizing. I found this out the hard and
expensive way about 25 years ago. A beautiful installation turned
ugly in the matter of a few years. No way in hell am I using anything
other than stainless steel unless the wood is to be painted and the
nails countersunk and puttied. I'd still probably just go with the
stainless as it's cheap insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote :

On Oct 18, 11:47*am, wrote:
[...]

oops! I meant any exterior painted or unpainted wood

The fastener will eventually rust & either stain the wood or the
streak the paint.

Even "good" heavy hot dipped galvanized will be a problem, driving the
nails damage the coating.

SS will out last the wood....why allow the desire to save $50 destroy
$1000's worth of wood

I believe the issue is that rust is hygroscopic,

moisture in the wood / air encourages rust, once the rust forms, it
attracts more moisture resulting in rot (and wood that is more prone
to moisture retention)

which in turn encourages more rust........the process continues until
the fastener is consumed and the wood ruined.

I discovered this problem when I started redwood sill repair 20+ years
ago.
SS nails & screws I installed in 1987 are still in "like new"
condition in south facing redwood window sills.

cheers
Bob