Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quicky Belt Change

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quicky Belt Change worth the minute

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

That is a good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Having done that procedure the hard way, I must say that I am impressed.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Having done that procedure the hard way, I must say that I am
impressed.

I've had two bugs ('57 & '63). Even doing it the hard way was easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Having done that procedure the hard way, I must say that I am
impressed.

I've had two bugs ('57 & '63). Even doing it the hard way was easy.

Well, I was only 16 and didn't have much in the way of tools, and even less
experience.

But I'd be damned if I was gonna pay someone to do it for me!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Jon Danniken wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Having done that procedure the hard way, I must say that I am
impressed.

I've had two bugs ('57 & '63). Even doing it the hard way was easy.

I had a '64 Karmann Ghia and converted it to 12V with a Chevy alternator.
Left the generator in place for the drive. The Ghia had more room to mount
the alternator on the shaft (yes, shaft to shaft) on the generator. The
alternator shaft was drilled, left hand threaded, and spun onto the
generator shaft and a bracket held the body in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Jon Danniken wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Having done that procedure the hard way, I must say that I am
impressed.

I've had two bugs ('57 & '63). Even doing it the hard way was easy.

I had a '64 Karmann Ghia and converted it to 12V with a Chevy alternator.
Left the generator in place for the drive. The Ghia had more room to mount
the alternator on the shaft (yes, shaft to shaft) on the generator. The
alternator shaft was drilled, left hand threaded, and spun onto the
generator shaft and a bracket held the body in place.

Did you have to change the starter motor too?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:14:26 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff

I have never done it with the engine running but I have rolled fan
belts on by getting them started around the pulley, holding them with
a screwdriver handle (stick or whatever I could find) like the video
and cranking the engine.
I have put chain saw chains in that way too. Just wedge the stick
between the guard and the started chain (around the motor sprocket)
and pull the cord. Best to do that one with the spark plug wire off.

After watching that video for the first time I came away thinking,
that's impressive, but what about having to adjust the belt tension to
suit the new belt? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

OK, now let's see that done with a GM truck and a "serpentine" belt!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

Did you have to change the starter motor too?

Jeff

I left the original starter and that sucker cranked fast no matter how cold
it was. Bulbs were easy to swap out, but the wiper motor was not. A
rheostat kept it under control though.

I paid $15 for the car, but had to spend $110 to rebuild the engine.
Convertible, it was fun to drive in spite of the rust, no heat or defrost
(rotted out) , clouded rear window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

OK, now let's see that done with a GM truck and a "serpentine" belt!

Probably not.....

But hwzabout this Guiness world record VW engine change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF6dcKjLJo

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 1:13*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

Did you have to change the starter motor too?

Jeff

I left the original starter and that sucker cranked fast no matter how cold
it was. *Bulbs were easy to swap out, but the wiper motor was not. *A
rheostat kept it under control though.

I paid $15 for the car, but had to spend $110 to rebuild the engine.
Convertible, it was fun to drive in spite of the rust, no heat or defrost
(rotted out) , clouded rear window.

Reminds me about VWs we had back in the early 70s. (3 bugs and one
'transporter'). We had converted the roof covered 'drive through' to a
garage, by closing off the back end and installing a used garage door
at the front.
Before that a gale of wind used to blow through that covered area and
actually blew an Al. storm door back against the siding leaving an
imprint of the handle and smashing the door! All $15 of it!
Temporarily replaced it with wooden door made from planks of board.
Today that door is the top of a work table! At that time garage had
only gravel/crushed stone on the floor; hard to kneel on!
However and this is point of this 'Home repair' story; with the only
two metric wrenches I had at the time, I could install a brand new
muffler including the two chrome tail pipes and the clamps and
gaskets for $21.50!
IIRC correctly the most we ever paid for a VW (bug) was $2500 for a
mint low mileage 1972. A private sale from a local ice-hockey player
who said he couldn't drive a manual shift vehicle!
Today that garage stores a vintage car and the rear part is now left
over from being a store room for a now discontinued 30 year small
business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

But hwzabout this Guiness world record VW engine change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF6dcKjLJo

Wow, I've seen it done in minutes, but nothing like that. When I sold the
car, I really sold the engine. The guy that came for it had the engine out
before I could get my tools to help him. Since the car was being scrapped,
he cut lines rather than disconnect them.

I've heard stories about a mechanic that worked on a VW and did not get
paid. He just went and repo'd the engine in the owner's driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 12:10�pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message

But hwzabout this Guiness world record VW engine change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF6dcKjLJo

Wow, I've seen it done in minutes, but nothing like that. �When I sold the
car, I really sold the engine. �The guy that came for it had the engine out
before I could get my tools to help him. �Since the car was being scrapped,
he cut lines rather than disconnect them.

I've heard stories about a mechanic that worked on a VW and did not get
paid. �He just went and repo'd the engine in the owner's driveway..

I am sure a person could do a complete engine swap in less than an
hour, including shrouds. It only took me 45 minutes to get an engine
out the first time I ever worked on a VW. The only hard thing is the
one 17 mm bolt/nut that holds the starter and engine to the tranny.
Rachet wrench makes it easy tho.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff

I have never done it with the engine running but I have rolled fan
belts on by getting them started around the pulley, holding them with
a screwdriver handle (stick or whatever I could find) like the video
and cranking the engine.
I have put chain saw chains in that way too. Just wedge the stick
between the guard and the started chain (around the motor sprocket)
and pull the cord. Best to do that one with the spark plug wire off.

Ya, i've done literally hundreds of them that way (with the starter, not
with it running) on the dam transverse engine GM xbodies in the 80's.
Cut 'em off with a knife, measure them, roll the new ones on with the
starter. Screw that trying to get to the PS pump and A/C compressor on
those *******s.