Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lining Up/Starting Screws in Doorknob

Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You have about a 30 year old Kwikset Bel Air. It's nearly
impossible to describe in words, so here's trying.

Put the outside knob on, the two grey shafts go at 9 o'clock
and 3 o'clock. Slip the inside knob on, also screws at 9 and
3.

Put the screw in about half way, and hold the head of the
screw. Wiggle the screw around, and you will feel it hit the
hollow shaft.

Let your brain chart out the location of the shaft. Pull the
screw back a little, and then put the screw about the center
of where your brain says the shaft is. Slowly slide screw
forward, while turning clockwise.

It's a lot harder than it sounds. I've been fussing with
these for 30 years or more.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jim evans" wrote in message
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when
reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my
wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for
10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem
every time I
take of knobs like this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim evans" wrote in message
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

Insert the half that has the female ends on it through the mechanism. Push
all the way to the wood. Put the screws into the other half, and hold in
place with fingers. Put the two halves together, but just enough for the
screws to touch the receivers. Start only a couple of threads, and
sometimes if the two halves are far enough apart, you can see the ends of
the screws. Some of the screws have the end tapered so they help find the
female part. I guess the biggest part is to try to get the two halves lined
up, have the touch to feel when you have the threads, and keep the two
halves far enough apart to see the most of what you can. Other than that,
it's just feel. Don't worry. After you've done a hundred or so, it gets
easier. Or you give up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 15:14:28 -0500, jim evans
wrote:

Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

LOL! Get each screw started / aligned before you tighten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

LOL! Get each screw started / aligned before you tighten.

Huh?

(Was the OP saying his wife was also better at screwing than he is?)

Lim Time!

"I'm screwing a doorknob, my dear."
These words from his wife he did hear.
She finished the job,
With a fully tight knob,
While Oren was drinking his beer.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

Wiggling is an important part, like Stormin says.

If the screw can be pushed so far in that its head rests in the
depression in the door knob bezel, then you missed the tube it's
supposed to screw into. Don't waste your time trying to tighten it.
Pull it out a half inch or inch and try to push it in more straightly,
more straight-on. If straight on has been tried succesfully, then try
for off-center a few times, 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 6
o'clock, hen go back to aiming for the center.

Is the problem that you never hit the tube, or you hit the tube, but
can't maneuver the screw to the center of the tube where it will screw
in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

(...)

It strikes me that you could slide a short length of heat shrink
tubing over each boss to funnel the fastener.

http://www.visipak.com/heat_shrink_t...inglewall.html

I've installed lots of doorknobs but haven't tried this short
cut yet.

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim evans" wrote in message
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

Use an ice pick long awl or similar instead of the screw. The should allow
you to have the female part out far enough so you can see where to insert
the end of the ice pick. Then put the female end in flush with the door
with the pick still in. This should help in lining up the screw hole with
the receiver. Remove the pick. It then should be easier to line up the
screw with the receive. Just start that screw (do not tighten). Use the
ice pick to try to find the receiver for a second screw.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim evans wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this?
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

Start with a really good flashlight.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:06:31 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is the problem that you never hit the tube, or you hit the tube, but
can't maneuver the screw to the center of the tube where it will screw
in?

I'm not entirely sure. I think the problem is I hit the tube but fail
to maneuver the screw into the tube. But, the tube end's about flush
with the latch mechanism, so I'm not sure whether I'm feeling the tube
or the latch.

By the way, I again fussed it in again, so I won't have this problem
for a while anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:53:30 -0700, Winston
wrote:

jim evans wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

(...)

It strikes me that you could slide a short length of heat shrink
tubing over each boss to funnel the fastener.

http://www.visipak.com/heat_shrink_t...inglewall.html

That sounds like a good trick to try. Next time I have to do this
I'll try it. I have shrink tubing, so it will be easy to try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message

Use an ice pick long awl or similar instead of the screw. The should

allow
you to have the female part out far enough so you can see where to insert
the end of the ice pick. Then put the female end in flush with the door
with the pick still in. This should help in lining up the screw hole with
the receiver. Remove the pick. It then should be easier to line up the
screw with the receive. Just start that screw (do not tighten). Use the
ice pick to try to find the receiver for a second screw.

The problem with the ice pick idea is that the knob gets in the way.

The manufacturer (Kwikset) has done several things over the years to make
this easier. First, they had an under sized boss on the end of the screw
that would hold the screw in the tube until you could get the threads
started, now they have a nifty setup where you install the screws into the
tubes before you insert the outside knob, and the inside knob rose plate has
a slotted arraignment that you can twist into place and then tighten the
screws. Pretty slick.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Oren, Patricia wrote:
Just dont go to Lowes and ask for a long screw!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-398510-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:44:01 GMT, Patricia
m wrote:

replying to Oren, Patricia wrote:
Just dont go to Lowes and ask for a long screw!

If you sit a barber chair long enough you eventually get a hair cut.

What was the date of my post, I forgot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Oren, Patricia wrote:
Just dont go to Lowes and ask for a long screw!

If you sit a barber chair long enough you eventually get a hair cut.

What was the date of my post, I forgot?

It was twothousandsevenhundrednine and 00/100 days ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jon Danniken, Cindy Nastasuk wrote:
Want to do this myself. Been trying to align one screw just won't go in. Any
ideas... please

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-398510-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:44:02 GMT, Cindy Nastasuk
m wrote:

Want to do this myself. Been trying to align one screw just won't go in. Any
ideas... please

LMAO

Don't tighten the "screws" until you got things lined up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

m wrote:

Want to do this myself. Been trying to align one screw just won't go in. Any
ideas... please

LMAO

Don't tighten the "screws" until you got things lined up.

She's screwed, blued and tattooed.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

m wrote:

Want to do this myself. Been trying to align one screw just won't go in. Any
ideas... please

LMAO

Don't tighten the "screws" until you got things lined up.

She's screwed, blued and tattooed.

Don't let her torque the head bolts until they line up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Want to do this myself. Been trying to align one screw just won't go in. Any
ideas... please

LMAO

Don't tighten the "screws" until you got things lined up.

Stormin Mormon replied to her post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Want to do this myself. Been trying to align one screw just won't go
in. Any
ideas... please

LMAO

Don't tighten the "screws" until you got things lined up.

Â*Â*Â*Â* StorminÂ* Mormon replied to her post.

He has a computer in Heaven? Neat!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Marilyn & Bob, Phil Norman wrote:
I used wire and got good results. I had been messing with this for about 30
min.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-398510-.htm