Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_9_] SteveB[_9_] is offline

Default Lining Up/Starting Screws in Doorknob

"jim evans" wrote in message
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

Insert the half that has the female ends on it through the mechanism. Push
all the way to the wood. Put the screws into the other half, and hold in
place with fingers. Put the two halves together, but just enough for the
screws to touch the receivers. Start only a couple of threads, and
sometimes if the two halves are far enough apart, you can see the ends of
the screws. Some of the screws have the end tapered so they help find the
female part. I guess the biggest part is to try to get the two halves lined
up, have the touch to feel when you have the threads, and keep the two
halves far enough apart to see the most of what you can. Other than that,
it's just feel. Don't worry. After you've done a hundred or so, it gets
easier. Or you give up.

Steve