Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob[_2_] Marilyn & Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Lining Up/Starting Screws in Doorknob

"jim evans" wrote in message
Does anyone know an easy way to line up the screws when reinstalling a
doorknob like this
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2...obp1060624.jpg

I fussed with a single screw for ten minutes then got my wife (who has
more patience than me) and she must have fooled with it for 10-15
minutes before getting them started. I have this problem every time I
take of knobs like this.

Use an ice pick long awl or similar instead of the screw. The should allow
you to have the female part out far enough so you can see where to insert
the end of the ice pick. Then put the female end in flush with the door
with the pick still in. This should help in lining up the screw hole with
the receiver. Remove the pick. It then should be easier to line up the
screw with the receive. Just start that screw (do not tighten). Use the
ice pick to try to find the receiver for a second screw.
--
Peace,
BobJ