Posted to alt.home.repair

Default no-maintenance batteries

I just bought a new battery for my JD lawn mower. It is one of those
no-maintenance batteries that don't have any fill holes to add water.

That got me to thinking:

How do these batteries differ from the old type lead-acid batteries
that required occasional addition of water? What's different about
these batteries?
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do these batteries differ from the old type lead-acid batteries
that required occasional addition of water? What's different about
these batteries?

Sealed = no evaporation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar Romano wrote:
I just bought a new battery for my JD lawn mower. It is one of those
no-maintenance batteries that don't have any fill holes to add water.

That got me to thinking:

How do these batteries differ from the old type lead-acid batteries
that required occasional addition of water? What's different about
these batteries?

Don't know what type of battery you actually have. The "maintenance
free" car batteries have calcium added to the lead which greatly
diminishes gassing which is the major reason you needed to add water. If
it is a gelled electrolyte then there is no evaporation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been a lot of years since I read this. But there is a
different design of battery that uses lead and calcium for
the plates. It's much more resistant to over charging, and
electrolyzing the water to hydrogen and oxygen. Sometimes
mistakenly called boiling off the water. They are vented,
and can lose the water. Only problem is, no way to replace
the water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
I just bought a new battery for my JD lawn mower. It is one
of those
no-maintenance batteries that don't have any fill holes to
add water.

That got me to thinking:

How do these batteries differ from the old type lead-acid
batteries
that required occasional addition of water? What's different
about
these batteries?
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Battery gel is a mixture of water and other stuff, like
alcohol gel is a mix of alcohol (and water and other stuff).
As to AGM, I'd have to research it, but I'm guessing they do
contain water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Is it perhaps a gel cell or an AGM battery? If so, there is
no water
in them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wasn't that a movie "Free Water", no that was Willie. Carry
on.

I hope the OP's sealed garden tractor battery gives many
years of service. Bring the battery indoors for the winter.
Not on cement floor. Yeah, I know, that was the old rubber
cased batteries. Why take a chance.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:49:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Battery gel is a mixture of water and other stuff, like
alcohol gel is a mix of alcohol (and water and other
stuff).
As to AGM, I'd have to research it, but I'm guessing they
do
contain water.

Neither contain free water that can escape.

Batteries with free water that can escape are known as
FLOODED cell
batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
How do these batteries differ from the old type lead-acid batteries
that required occasional addition of water? What's different about
these batteries?

Sealed = no evaporation.

I don't know the actual difference but it certainly isn't an old style
that is sealed. An older style battery produces hydrogen and maybe
oxygen gas when charged. If it was sealed it would explode from the
pressure of the gases. Most car type maintenance free batteries do have
vents and emit explosive gases while charging. They are not sealed
tight. Most can also be checked and filled if low, they just make the
caps look like they don't come off but most do. Check it every couple
years instead of every couple months.

Gel cells are a whole different story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bring the battery indoors for the winter.
Not on cement floor. Yeah, I know, that was the old rubber
cased batteries. Why take a chance.

Come on now Stormin, you must be older than dirt if you are still
worried about putting a battery on a cement floor. (I suppose that
should actually be a "concrete" floor?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:14:11 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bring the battery indoors for the winter.
Not on cement floor. Yeah, I know, that was the old rubber
cased batteries. Why take a chance.

Come on now Stormin, you must be older than dirt if you are still
worried about putting a battery on a cement floor. (I suppose that
should actually be a "concrete" floor?)

Actually, modern batteries with poly cases BENEFIT from being stored
on a concrete floor. Keeping a battery cool will slow down the
chemical reactions and prolong its life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What? Talk a little closer to my hearing aid? I'll thump my
cane on the floor if I can hear you.

Some old advice, I just don't want to take the chance.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bring the battery indoors for the winter.
Not on cement floor. Yeah, I know, that was the old rubber
cased batteries. Why take a chance.

Come on now Stormin, you must be older than dirt if you are
still
worried about putting a battery on a cement floor. (I
suppose that
should actually be a "concrete" floor?)

Circular saw maintenance Ben Home Repair 10 December 14th 08 10:31 PM
TS maintenance foggytown Woodworking 8 November 11th 06 06:49 AM
Maintenance - lack of (a bit OT) John UK diy 16 April 27th 06 08:21 PM
Does A/C need maintenance? toller Home Repair 50 April 18th 05 01:12 PM
Home maintenance vs. condo maintenance Jeff Bello Home Repair 7 May 26th 04 02:40 PM