Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Trim

I have finished stripping several layers of paint from an old door frame. The
wood has been sanded and is ready for painting.

The frame is across a hall from a south facing window and gets a lot of direct
sun. The old paint had suffered from many years of exposure.

My question is: should I use a primer coat of SealCoat on the bare wood? Will
this extra step help with prevention of future alligatoring?
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 11:10*am, Bill Waller wrote:
I have finished stripping several layers of paint from an old door frame. The
wood has been sanded and is ready for painting.

The frame is across a hall from a south facing window and gets a lot of direct
sun. The old paint had suffered from many years of exposure.

My question is: should I use a primer coat of SealCoat on the bare wood? Will
this extra step help with prevention of future alligatoring?

Alligatoring is usually a result of dried out oil-paint. Top coating
it with latex doesn't fix the underlying condition. Since you have
stripped it down to the bare wood, you could go with a shellac-based
sealer coat or latex primer and then top coat with latex paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Waller wrote:
I have finished stripping several layers of paint from an old door frame. The
wood has been sanded and is ready for painting.

The frame is across a hall from a south facing window and gets a lot of direct
sun. The old paint had suffered from many years of exposure.

My question is: should I use a primer coat of SealCoat on the bare wood? Will
this extra step help with prevention of future alligatoring?
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

I would not be picky about the brand for priming bare wood, other than
to choose a good brand from a paint store - Ben Moore, S. Williams, etc.
Latex primer, latex semi-gloss paint. Paint while the surface is not
under direct sun. Latex paint has more flex and ability to expand than
oil-based enamels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
m:

Bill Waller wrote:
[...]

....100% acrylic latex is best.

Things to ponder: Hmmm, no paint has any latex at all in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
I have finished stripping several layers of paint from an old door frame.
The
wood has been sanded and is ready for painting.

The frame is across a hall from a south facing window and gets a lot of
direct
sun. The old paint had suffered from many years of exposure.

My question is: should I use a primer coat of SealCoat on the bare wood?
Will
this extra step help with prevention of future alligatoring?
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Fres~Coat Troubleshooter® Fast Drying Alkyd Primer , made by California
Paint...GREAT stuff....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
" wrote in
m:

Bill Waller wrote:
[...]

Unless he wants to sand it in the future

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in news:aY0xm.249333$I07.123202
@newsfe04.ams2:

Red Green wrote:
" wrote in
m:

Bill Waller wrote:
[...]

Well....it rolls off nicely :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 10:10*am, Bill Waller wrote:
I have finished stripping several layers of paint from an old door frame. The
wood has been sanded and is ready for painting.

The frame is across a hall from a south facing window and gets a lot of direct
sun. The old paint had suffered from many years of exposure.

My question is: should I use a primer coat of SealCoat on the bare wood? Will
this extra step help with prevention of future alligatoring?
__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

What is Seal Coat. Oil exterior primer is still the best and
recommended I am sure by top paint companies for their best products.
I dont trust latex exterior primers, they dry to quickly to penetrate
but actualy the size of molecule in oil primers is smaller, so it
penetrates deeper. [I was reading a Benjamin moore tech answer on
this] Yes you must prime, or in a year or so it will peel, primers
seal the wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Spending the extra nickels on the paint will pay off big time. I made
that mistake years ago. Within two years it looked like !

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Can I get away with painting the trim pieces djay Home Repair 6 January 24th 09 03:22 AM
House Trim painting Kika Home Repair 4 July 9th 07 04:21 AM
painting around door trim - inside painting Eigenvector Home Repair 5 October 4th 06 11:34 PM
Painting & trim KR Home Repair 5 March 16th 06 03:24 PM
painting/preping trim edog Woodworking 9 January 6th 05 10:53 PM