Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House Trim painting

Hi,

We are looking to have the trim on our house painted. We have a few
quotes from contracters - one of which is quite different from the
rest. Most quotes will pressure wash, and apply two coats of paint.
Our house trim is not in very bad shape at the moment - there are
spots that could use some work.

The one quote in question plans to use Sherwin Williams Duration
series paint. He says one coat of paint will do. We plan to change
the color of the trim very slightly - another very slight variation of
a cream color. He says he does not power wash the trim, as it is not
necessary. He will clean the surfaces with a TSP solution before
painting. To put on a second coat of paint is quite a bit of an extra
cost with this contractor. The contractor says he will clean up the
areas that need help, prime and then paint. He thinks one coat will
probably last 7-8 yrs.. a second coat will add another 2 yrs or so of
protection.

Will one coat of the paint typically do the job?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kika" wrote in message
The one quote in question plans to use Sherwin Williams Duration
series paint. He says one coat of paint will do. We plan to change
the color of the trim very slightly - another very slight variation of
a cream color. He says he does not power wash the trim, as it is not
necessary. He will clean the surfaces with a TSP solution before
painting. To put on a second coat of paint is quite a bit of an extra
cost with this contractor. The contractor says he will clean up the
areas that need help, prime and then paint. He thinks one coat will
probably last 7-8 yrs.. a second coat will add another 2 yrs or so of
protection.

Will one coat of the paint typically do the job?

Last time I used one coat it lasted about 10 or 12 years. Good paint holds
up well if prepped and applied properly. As for pressure washing, it is not
really needed and can do more damage if not done properly. Pressure washers
can chew up the wood fiber.

I put one coat on again two years ago and so far, it is holding up very well
and I expect to get a few more years easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Year after year, Consumer Reports top rates Glidden Endurance. It is hard
to find but worth it. Search google for SW duration and you will find a
bunch of complaints.

Get references. By the way, in the Raleigh NC area, lots of painting
companies are just contractors and use the same crews. Also I've heard some
contractors have 3 different company names and send out 3 sets of
advertisements and bid low, medium and high respectively and you get the
same crew no matter what price you pay.

"Kika" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Year after year, Consumer Reports top rates Glidden Endurance.

Consumer Reports is good for middle of the road stuff, where you just don't
know any better. But it's not going to cover the best stuff. For example,
I'd never in a million years buy a stereo component Consumer Reports
recommended. It's just not sophisticated enough for me. But I'd buy a
vacuum cleaner they recommended.

There's nothing inherently wrong with one coat of primer, one coat of good
paint, and skipping the power washing. If the man knows what he's doing,
that will be a better job than a hack using a power washer and 2 coats of
crappy paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 9:40 am, Kika wrote:
[...]

I'm a painting contractor in Kansas City. I've used Duration for
three years with no problems. It is intended to be applied twice as
thick as most other exterior finishes, but doesn't run or sag or have
curing problems as most paints will if applied that thickly. This is
great for me and my customers because they get the thickness of two
coats (7 mils) without the added labor cost of a second coat.

As Edwin said, preparation is everything. TSP not only cleans the old
finish, it takes off whatever shine remains on the old finish so the
new paint will adhere well. Everything else your painter said sounds
very reasonable. Duration takes a different technique than other
paints when you brush it on. Some painters think that paint has to go
on a certain way (their way) or it's "no good." Nonsense. I don't
hire that sort of painter. Paint companies improve their paints at a
rapid clip, and paints today are pretty remarkable.

Stick with the painter you found, as long as you and he get along well
and communicate well.

painting around door trim - inside painting Eigenvector Home Repair 5 October 4th 06 11:34 PM
Painting & trim KR Home Repair 5 March 16th 06 03:24 PM
exterior trim prep for painting djay Home Repair 6 June 23rd 05 05:23 AM
Painting House Trim new england gal Home Repair 7 January 11th 05 06:29 PM
painting/preping trim edog Woodworking 9 January 6th 05 10:53 PM