Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default House Trim painting

Year after year, Consumer Reports top rates Glidden Endurance. It is hard
to find but worth it. Search google for SW duration and you will find a
bunch of complaints.

Get references. By the way, in the Raleigh NC area, lots of painting
companies are just contractors and use the same crews. Also I've heard some
contractors have 3 different company names and send out 3 sets of
advertisements and bid low, medium and high respectively and you get the
same crew no matter what price you pay.

"Kika" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

We are looking to have the trim on our house painted. We have a few
quotes from contracters - one of which is quite different from the
rest. Most quotes will pressure wash, and apply two coats of paint.
Our house trim is not in very bad shape at the moment - there are
spots that could use some work.

The one quote in question plans to use Sherwin Williams Duration
series paint. He says one coat of paint will do. We plan to change
the color of the trim very slightly - another very slight variation of
a cream color. He says he does not power wash the trim, as it is not
necessary. He will clean the surfaces with a TSP solution before
painting. To put on a second coat of paint is quite a bit of an extra
cost with this contractor. The contractor says he will clean up the
areas that need help, prime and then paint. He thinks one coat will
probably last 7-8 yrs.. a second coat will add another 2 yrs or so of
protection.

Will one coat of the paint typically do the job?

Thanks