Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Left handed drill bits

I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

You could make a left handed door with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I'm installing a deadbolt on a door with left handed
reverse bevel, do I use right handed bits?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in
message
JIMMIE wrote:
I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes
exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the
only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

You could make a left handed door with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:47:55 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:

I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

Yes. I used to sharpen some broken bits backward and paint them yellow
just for this purpose. The colour was only a way to recognize them in the
drawer quickly. They worked great when needed. Why would they have to have
multi uses anyway? This one use was a real enough time saver when needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RLM" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:47:55 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:

Yes. I used to sharpen some broken bits backward and paint
them yellow
just for this purpose. The colour was only a way to
recognize them in the
drawer quickly. They worked great when needed. Why would
they have to have
multi uses anyway? This one use was a real enough time saver
when needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:47:55 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

They're good for use by left-handed people with left-handed drills.

But I guess I only use tthem for extracting specialty screws and
broken bolts.

The first time I tried to buy these things, at least one hardware guy
thought I was kidding. He didn't have left-handed nails, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 24, 3:47*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

Commonly used when hand drilling out damaged right hand threads in
soft metals so that the drill doesn't seize and kick back taking your
knuckles with it. The drill is usually sharpened with very little rake
as well. No that's not a grass rake, you humorists.

Jioe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
JIMMIE wrote:

I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

No, we used to use them frequently on the old Brown and Sharpe screw
machines. Those were the original automatic lathes, originally developed
around the turn of the century (not the most recent one!) for, uh,
making screws.

On a lathe, the spindle turns the stock, and the drill is fixed - it
doesn't rotate. So if you have an operation where you want or need the
spindle rotating backwards, you need a backwards (left-handed) drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a few left handed drill bits. I use thes exclusively for
extracting broken bolts. I was wondering if this is the only purpose
for which they were intended.

Jimmie

They're good for use by left-handed people with left-handed drills.

But I guess I only use tthem for extracting specialty screws and
broken bolts.

The first time I tried to buy these things, at least one hardware guy
thought I was kidding. He didn't have left-handed nails, either.

Yeah, but I would bet that he had some metric Crescent wrenches. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole, will they?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:33:27 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole, will they?

I suppose to remove a bolt you don't want it generating piles of metal and
drilling into the bolt, anyway - all it needs to do is bite and draw the
bolt out.

Maybe I'll give it a try - I think I've got a few broken bits somewhere.

Always wondered if there's a good reason why normal bits drill in the
same direction as screw threads, or whether it's it just cooincidence...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd guess that a left ground right bit would scrape, rather
than drill. I can't imagine it being at all useful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message
eonecommunications...
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand
twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll
work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole,
will they?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might work to bind and rotate a bolt. Never know. Please
come back and tell us what you found.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules" wrote
in message
news
I suppose to remove a bolt you don't want it generating
piles of metal and
drilling into the bolt, anyway - all it needs to do is bite
and draw the
bolt out.

Maybe I'll give it a try - I think I've got a few broken
bits somewhere.

Always wondered if there's a good reason why normal bits
drill in the
same direction as screw threads, or whether it's it just
cooincidence...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was sharpening some drill bits I got in a junk store and couldn't
figure out why I couldn't get right. Yep it's a 3/8 " left hand, so I
stand backwards when I use it.
There are " Left hand crescent wrenches !
I do own one. it's funny when I lend it to some one that is working
under a car , the dam thing drives you nuts. I used to throw it across
the yard until I got used to turning the barrow back wards

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:38:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might work to bind and rotate a bolt. Never know. Please
come back and tell us what you found.

Will try and remember to give it a go tomorrow...

It's possible it'll just bind solid but the bolt won't move - and the
drill will...

Posted to alt.home.repair

At which point you'll be whistling, I mean, fluting, Dixie?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules" wrote
in message
news On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:38:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Might work to bind and rotate a bolt. Never know. Please
come back and tell us what you found.

Will try and remember to give it a go tomorrow...

It's possible it'll just bind solid but the bolt won't
move - and the
drill will...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:43:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

Only the tip cuts and catches to reverse the broken bolt. I learned to
sharpen bits by hand many years ago from an old machinist. This is
something he showed me before I had ever seen a left twist bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed bit? Even if
it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole, will they?

Jeff

The bit is only intended to catch hold of the broken bolt with a
reversible drill motor and twist the broken bolt out of the hole. The
flute at the end is ground to cut at a low angle to catch the bolt and
remove it. You can drill a small pilot hole in the center of a stubborn
bolt for the left hand sharpened tip to catch. Done it for years prior to
retiring. Use the method still if needed.

Don't need it as often, that's all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed bit? Even if
it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole, will they?

Jeff

The bit is only intended to catch hold of the broken bolt with a
reversible drill motor and twist the broken bolt out of the hole. The
flute at the end is ground to cut at a low angle to catch the bolt and
remove it. You can drill a small pilot hole in the center of a stubborn
bolt for the left hand sharpened tip to catch. Done it for years prior to
retiring. Use the method still if needed.

Don't need it as often, that's all.

If need be I have three different styles of easy outs. The long twist with
a tap wrench end, square easy outs with cut edges to catch and short ones
with many edges that have hex heads to turn them out. The reverse drill
bit is a first try and quickest. Snap-On and Mac carry them all if you
care to look the styles of easy outs up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 25, 2:33*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole, will they?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Left hand drills have left twist to remove chips. There are router
bits and CNC bits, however, that are 'downcutting' so that chips are
kept away from the surface for specialized reasons.

Joe

Left handed drill bits in Calgary... or at least Canada??? Noozer Home Repair 25 June 22nd 06 08:03 PM
Where to Buy Left Handed 6mm Die?? Name Metalworking 2 February 3rd 06 05:18 AM
Left Handed Woodbench Dee Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 05:09 PM
Set of left handed drills etc anybody ? raden UK diy 1 June 16th 05 11:53 PM
left-handed saw? Mac Woodworking 7 August 22nd 04 04:37 AM