Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Left handed drill bits

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:33:27 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does one get a left handed flute out of a right handed
bit? Even if it's broken off, it's still a right hand twist.

I wuz gonna ask that too.

But, I imagine you can grind the cutting edges so they'll work, but the
flutes sure won't wanna move the chips up out of the hole, will they?

I suppose to remove a bolt you don't want it generating piles of metal and
drilling into the bolt, anyway - all it needs to do is bite and draw the
bolt out.

Maybe I'll give it a try - I think I've got a few broken bits somewhere.

Always wondered if there's a good reason why normal bits drill in the
same direction as screw threads, or whether it's it just cooincidence...

cheers

Jules