Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan question

"IGot2P" wrote in message
We currently have only a light (no fan) hanging from the second story
ceiling over the center landing of the stairs between the two floors and
want to add a ceiling fan. The light is controlled by switches both on the
first floor and the second floor.

Although I have installed several ceiling fans, I have never installed one
that had a remote nor have I ever even bothered to look at how the ones
with remotes work.

This is a relatively new home built to look like an older Victorian Home
so the wiring is all up to date but it is nearly impossible to get into
the attic thus I would prefer not to have to change any wiring.

Now finally, my question(s): how exactly do the remotes work? Can the hot
wire(s) just continue to be like it is to the light and it actually goes
to both the light and fan and then the remote controls the fan (in short,
do I need to change any wiring). I would still like to control the fan
light with the current switches and the only the fan with the remote, I
this possible?

If anyone has a clue as to what I mean, please advise.

Cheers,

Don

First, make sure the box holding the existing fixture is a fan support box.
It probably is, as heavy fixtures are usually hung in center halls with high
ceilings. You cannot control the fan-light from both a remote and set of 3
way wall switches, as the power must be on for the remote to work. You can
use fans made by Casablanca, with one of their systems like "intellitouch"
controls, which replace the existing wall switches and allow you to control
the fan and light from multiple locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

RPM,

Are you saying that with the "intellitouch" system I could control both
without any additional wiring? I realize that one of the switches would
have to be in the "ON" position so that I would have a hot wire to the
unit but are saying that even with the a hot wire going to the unit I
could control both the fan and light independently and the light would
not be on all the time?

I want the fan for two reasons, first I want it to move warm air to the
lower story (it is an open stairway), and secondly I simply want it for
decor. In short, the decision to place a fan and light there has been
made if I can control it as I want.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"IGot2P" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

Casablanca has an in wall control, that replaces the existing wall switch.
They also make one for 3 way setups. These switches are line carriers
similar to X-10 or Leviton DEC controls. Each switch has a control for fan
speeds and light on-off-dim, as well as the ability to reverse the fan, and
you can do anything from any switch location. You can check out their stuff
at http://www.casablancafanco.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan question- Ping RPM

RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

Okay, I read everything that I could find about the controllers
(actually, they are pretty neat) at www.casablancafanco.com but I still
need to know if I have to add any wiring? A basic "yes or no" would be
great. :-)

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"IGot2P" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

You don't need to add any wiring. The intellitouch controls don't connect to
the existing wiring the same way that 3 way switches do, but they do work
with the existing wiring

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"IGot2P" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

Here is a link to the wiring procedu
http://www.casablancafanrepair.com/H...lWiringP35.htm

Ceiling fan question LouB[_2_] Home Repair 2 September 23rd 09 04:24 PM
Another Ceiling Fan Question Kate[_5_] Home Repair 7 August 5th 09 02:58 AM
Ceiling question Flair Home Repair 9 January 16th 09 07:57 PM
ceiling Fan question Kurt Ullman Home Repair 6 September 1st 07 08:05 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 4 March 23rd 07 09:59 PM