Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan question

IGot2P wrote:
We currently have only a light (no fan) hanging from the second story
ceiling over the center landing of the stairs between the two floors and
want to add a ceiling fan. The light is controlled by switches both on
the first floor and the second floor.

Although I have installed several ceiling fans, I have never installed
one that had a remote nor have I ever even bothered to look at how the
ones with remotes work.

This is a relatively new home built to look like an older Victorian Home
so the wiring is all up to date but it is nearly impossible to get into
the attic thus I would prefer not to have to change any wiring.

Now finally, my question(s): how exactly do the remotes work? Can the
hot wire(s) just continue to be like it is to the light and it actually
goes to both the light and fan and then the remote controls the fan (in
short, do I need to change any wiring). I would still like to control
the fan light with the current switches and the only the fan with the
remote, I this possible?

If anyone has a clue as to what I mean, please advise.

Cheers,

Don

For cooling, installing a fan over a landing seems like a complete waste
of money and time since a fan ONLY cools by blowing air over a person.
OTOH a fan might be used to move warm air down from the ceiling in winter.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Not really. Fan helps circulating air to even out the temp between floor
to ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
LouB wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
[...]

And what good does that do, esp in the summer?

Another Ceiling Fan Question Kate[_5_] Home Repair 7 August 5th 09 02:58 AM
Ceiling question Flair Home Repair 9 January 16th 09 07:57 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Jeffy3 Home Repair 8 April 27th 08 04:50 AM
ceiling Fan question Kurt Ullman Home Repair 6 September 1st 07 08:05 PM
Ceiling Fan Question Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 4 March 23rd 07 09:59 PM