Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan/light question

On Sep 23, 12:52*am, IGot2P wrote:
We currently have only a light (no fan) hanging from the second story
ceiling over the center landing of the stairs between the two floors and
want to add a ceiling fan with light. The light is controlled by
switches both on the first floor and the second floor.

Although I have installed several ceiling fans, I have never installed
one that had a remote nor have I ever even bothered to look at how the
ones with remotes work.

This is a relatively new home built to look like an older Victorian Home
so the wiring is all up to date but it is nearly impossible to get into
the attic thus I would prefer not to have to change any wiring.

Now finally, my question(s): how exactly do the remotes work? Can the
hot wire(s) just continue to be like it is to the light and it actually
goes to both the light and fan and then the remote controls the fan (in
short, do I need to change any wiring). I would still like to control
the fan light with the current switches and the only the fan with the
remote, I this possible?

If anyone has a clue as to what I mean, please advise.

Cheers,

Don

Yes you can leave the wiring as is (assuming neither switch is a
dimmer) and control the fan with a remote. But,...
You will always need to leave the switches on. The receiver in the
fan needs power all of the time in order to turn the fan or light on
or off.

Probably the only way you will be able to control the light with
switches and have the fan controlled by remote is if the power feed is
to the light and the switches are wired on either side. See the
second set of examples on this page titled "3 way switch wiring
diagrams with the electricity source at the first switch and a light
fixture between the two switches."
http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/i...yswitches.html

A lighting store or electrical supply house (read NOT Home Depot) will
have some fancy switches for your situation. An example might be
remotes that mount where the switches currently are to turn the light
on & off and also the fan on & off. Or,...
Just by two remotes and velcro them next to the switches. If you are
buying a Hunter or similar fan it should be relatively easy to find
what you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to take a look inside the box (both with your eyes and
with a tester) before you go any further. Some electricians are smart/
non-lazy enough to run an extra hot line to most/every ceiling box
(especially if it's wired with cable)...just in case someone wants to
add a ceiling fan later. I don't know how common this is, but it's
worth a look...

Ceiling fan w/ light - Light doesn't work [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 4th 07 04:41 PM
Ceiling fan light kit question [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 10th 07 09:23 PM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Three bulb ceiling light fixture question tomkanpa Home Repair 7 November 18th 05 06:19 PM
Ceiling light wiring question Capricious Home Repair 4 March 12th 04 10:27 PM